|Principal||K N Balasubramanya Murthy|
|CEO||Prof. D. Jawahar |
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Urban, on the 100 Feet Ring Road, Banashankari III Stage,Bangalore-560085
PES University is a university in Bangalore, India. Established in 1988, it is focused on four main educational areas: Engineering, Medicine, Management and Life Sciences. The institutions offer both foundation courses in these areas, as well as specialization with a Bachelors/ Master/ PhD degree. Originally named the PES Institute of Technology (PESIT), it was renamed in 2013.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academic profile
- 4 Student life
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
PESIT is managed by the People's Education Society (PES), which was founded in 1972, in a rented gymnasium in Bangalore, with around 40 students. PES currently manages over 45 educational programs in Karnataka and neighboring Andhra Pradesh, with a total of over 15000 students. PESIT was founded in the year 1988.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2013)|
A - Block
The A - Block is the administrative building, called the Prof M.R.D Silver Jubilee Complex, named after the Chairman of the PES group Prof. M.R. Doreswamy. The building has the central library, the offices of the Director, Chairman, Principal and Registrar. It also has the Department of Science and Humanities which handles the first year students for BE courses. It houses the Central Library and a Campus Mart where the students can buy stationary items and books.
There is an auditorium in the A Block with 800+ seating capacity.
B - Block
B - Block houses the machine shop, fluid mechanics lab, I.C. Engines Lab, materials testing lab, heat transfer lab and a subsonic wind tunnel.
C - Block
C - Block houses the Department of Mechanical Engineering. It also has the offices of the cultural department, Team Haya which is the PES Formula Team. It also houses the GM PACE center and the chemistry laboratory. Department of mechanical engineering also has an aero design team called team 'Αίολος' AEOLUS. Team aeolus has participated in sae west and they were placed 1st in Asia and fifth in world in design competition.
D - Block
D - Block is for the Electrical & Electronics Engineering department. The block features AC Machines Lab, DC Machines Lab, Analog Electronics Lab, Power Electronics Lab and Computer Lab.
E - Block
E - Block houses the offices of the Dean of Academics and Evaluation and other UG and PG departments like Biotechnology Engineering, Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA), Bachelor of Hotel Management, Bachelor of Business Management and Master of Business Administration (MBA)
F - Block (Pāṇini Block)
F - Block is the Center for Advanced Studies (CAS). It has the Department of Information Science and Engineering, the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, the Department of Electronics and Communications Engineering, and the Department of Telecommunications Engineering. It has the CORI lab along with some research setups like FreeScale Semiconductor VLSI Lab and Centre for Intelligent Systems. The block was named as 'Panini' block, after the Sanskrit grammarian Pāṇini.
G - Block
The G-Block or the Aamatra block currently houses the first year Engineering students.
PESIT admits students to undergraduate courses based on their Karnataka CET or their COMED-K UGET test ranks or their pessat(university's own entrance test) ranks. PESIT also admits students under Management quota,which does not place any merit requirements.There is a lateral entry scheme in place, by which students holding diploma degrees can directly enter the second year of study in engineering. On graduating students receive a Bachelor of Engineering degree.
Under Graduate Programs
PESIT offers Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) 4 year degree programs in following disciplines:
- Mechanical Engineering (Total number of seats available are 180)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (Total number of seats available are 120)
- Telecommunication Engineering (Total number of seats available are 120)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering (Total number of seats available are 120)
- Information Science and Engineering (Total number of seats available are 120)
- Computer Science and Engineering (Total number of seats available are 240)
- Biotechnology (Total number of seats available are 120)
- Civil Engineering (Total number of seats available are 120)
- Department of MCA
- Department of MBA
- M.Tech (Computer Science and Engineering)
- M.Tech (Electronics and Communication Engineering)
- M.Tech (Mechanical Engineering)
- M.Tech (Software Engineering)
- M.Tech (Web Technologies)
- M.Tech (Power Electronics)
Faculty and research
Crucible Of Research and Innovation (CORI) is a multi-disciplinary research centre at PESIT. It was inaugurated by Prof. C.N.R Rao former Director, Indian Institute of Science on February 7, 2010. It has research facilities and a set of dedicated research staff who carry out research in their areas of interest.
Centre for Intelligent Systems (CIS) is a research centre at PESIT, which is researches on topics including Control Systems, Speech, Image and Signal Processing, Robotics, Artificial intelligence, and Low Power VLSI Design. There is another PESITM in Shivamogga district of Karnataka which too is run by Prerana Educational Society and has former MP B.Y.Raghwendra as its Secretary and B.Y Arunadevi as Joint Secretary.There is also PES Public School affiliated to CBSE run by Prerana Educational Society.
Course content and grading
All the courses which have been conferred autonomous status have their departments set their own course content and grading system. The college follows the credit–based system of performance evaluation, with proportional weighting of courses based on their importance. The total marks (usually out of 100) form the basis of grades, with a grade value (out of 10) assigned to a range of marks. For each semester, the students are graded by taking a weighted average of all the subject grades with their respective credit points. Each semester's evaluation is done independently with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) reflecting the overall performance across semesters. Till June 2012, the grading system being followed was relative grading, but the college switched to an absolute grading system after consultations with the university.
|Engineering – India|
PESIT was ranked #33 by Outlook India Top Engineering Colleges of 2013, from 35 in 2012 and #30 by Dataquest India's Top Engineering Colleges 2011. In rankings limited to private colleges it was ranked #13 by Mint Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009.
Academic pressure and controversies
Celesta : College cultural day.
Vistas : National-level management fest.
Prakalpa : Exhibition featuring the best projects of each department.
Conquiztador : The Annual High School Quizzing Championship for the Dr. M R Doreswamy Trophy for Quizzing Excellence.
Ayana : A 24 hour hackathon organised by the Department of Computer Science, PES Institute of Technology.
Aatmatrisha : Aatmatrisha, the annual intercollegiate techno-cultural fest of PES Institute of Technology, Bangalore, provides an imposing platform for the students across the country to showcase their talents in a host of technical and cultural events.
Samarpana : Samarpana was started in 2009 as an annual event dedicated to the martyrs of our nation. In Samarpana, the students work towards spreading awareness among the youth about the sacrifices made by the armed forces of India and reach out to their families, and express gratitude. Nautanki, the club was also extensively involved in creating theatrical performances for the same.
HashCode : A 24 hour hackathon organised by Student Nokia Developer Community.
- Nautanki - The college's official dramatics and film making team. Nautanki maintains a member strength of around 30 students. Nautanki was both the mime and one-act play champions at the University (VTU) fest held at Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore.
- Ninaada - Indian cultural forum
- PES.NET - DotNet Student User Group of PES group of institutions.
- Pulse - Western dance crew of PESIT, founded in 2005.
- Trance - Western Contemporary dance troupe.
- Ducks - Hiking and mountain climbing club
- Sanskrithi - Contemporary/semi-contemporary dance troupe.
- The Quotient Quiz Club - The official quiz club of PESIT. It is the flag bearer for all quizzing activities on campus. Known for its own quizzing style, the QQC is an active 45 member club with quizzes happening regularly.
- Team Haya - Formula racing team.
- Team Aeolus - Aero-design team.
- Pixels - Photography Club.
- Eclat- Annual magazine by and for the students.
- Mad Maniacs- Mad Add team.
- PES Open Source community- The group working on promoting the use of Free and Open source software.
- Student Nokia Developer- A community working towards researching and developing apps/games for Nokia Devices.
- IEEE Student Branch- Student run group which conducts workshops, technical activities and industrial visits that bring together students of similar interests and create an atmosphere of cohesive learning
- Papyrus- Pesit's own newsletter by students. Published monthly.
- "About us". PESIT, Bangalore. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "Balasubramanya Murthy". PESIT, Bangalore. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "D Jawahar".
- "Contact address". PESIT, Bangalore. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Hosmac Foundation in association with PESIT offers PGDHM". HOSMAC Foundation. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "About PES University". PES University. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- "PESIT students outshine in Sweden-India Nobel Memorial Quiz". Thisweekbangalore. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Report of ICEMC2 2011". PESIT. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "M.Tech Computer Science". PESIT, Bangalore. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Gutka, Charmi. "Sparsh Learning Raises Angel Funding From Blume Ventures And Tempus Capital". Dealcurry. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "PESIT Telecommunications". PES Institute of Technology. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Balakrishna, Shruti (15 December 2008). "City colleges slowly switching to grading system". Times of India, Bangalore. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Student manual. Bangalore: P.E.S. Institute of Technology. 2012. pp. 4–5.
- "Best Engineering colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Overthere, PESIT, Bangalore". The Telegraph, Calcutta. 26 January 2005. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Education and career fair from May 19". The Hindu. 22 April 2004. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- http://ayana.pes.edu[dead link]
- Student Nokia Developer - We the students who develop!
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PES University.|