P. C. George
|P C George|
|Government Chief Whip|
28 August 1951 |
|Political party||Kerala Congress|
|Residence||Erattupetta, Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram|
|As of 16 Jul, 2013
P. C. George is a Christian politician and a six-time Member of the Legislative Assembly of Kerala, from the Poonjar Constituency, in Kottayam District. He is known to be outspoken, often criticizing members and policies of both the ruling as well as opposition fronts in Kerala.
P.C. George was born on 28 August 1951, at Aruvithura, Kottayam, Kerala. He is son of Chackochan and Mariamma.
George is married to Usha George on 25 January 1981 and has two sons Shaun & Shane. One of his sons, Shaun is married to Parvathy, daughter of Jagathy Sreekumar.Usha has been running the Mayflower Beauty Parlour and Tailoring Centre at Erattupetta.
His political career started through students' movement. He was Ernakulam District President of K.S.C. (1971–73); General Secretary of K.S.C. (1973–76). Was arrested several times in connection with students agitations. He was Chairman, Petitions Committee of the Legislative Assembly for seven and a half years. He was Chairman, Subordinate Legislation Committee for two and a half years; Chairman, Committee on Papers Laid on the Table for two and a half years. He was General Secretary, Kerala Congress; and Party leader, Kerala Congress (Secular) (2003-2010). Served as K.S.R.T.C. Board Member for ten years.Presently, serving as Vice-Chairman, Kerala Congress (M).Previously elected to K.L.A. in 1980, 1982, 1996, 2001 and 2006.
He is the incumbent MLA from Poonjar constituency in Kottayam District of Kerala. George is also vice-chairman of Kerala Congress (Mani), a splinter faction of Kerala Congress. The splinter groups of Kerala Congress are known for frequent splits and mergers. PC George was formerly a leader of the Kerala Congress (Joseph) party and was critical of KM Mani, the leader of Kerala Congress (Mani). Later PC George quit the Joseph group and formed his own group and named it "Kerala Congress (secular)". Recently, PC George merged his group with K.M Mani's faction. Before joining Kerala Congress (M) his party was affiliated with the LDF.
P.C. George is currently the Chief Whip, Government of Kerala.
|Year||Closest rival||Votes polled|
|1980||V J Joseph (KEC)||25,806|
|1982||N M Joseph (JNP)||33,844|
|1996||Joy Abraham (KEC-M)||48,834|
|2001||Adv. T V Abraham(KEC-M)||48,499|
|2006||Adv. Abraham Kaipanplackal (KEC-M)||48,795|
|2011||Adv. Mohan Thomas (Ind.)||59,809|
- "Kerala's P C George, 'uncut and uncensored'". Indian Express.
- "Parvathy weds Shaun". Manorama Online. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Movie mania for Kerala politicos". CNN-IBN. 19 June 2007. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "UDF fails to take stand on Kerala Congress merger". Sify. 30 May 2010. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Poonjar Election results 1980". Empowering India. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Poonjar Election results 1982". Empowering India. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Poonjar Election results 1996". Empowering India. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Poonjar Election results 2001". Empowering India. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Poonjar Election results 2006". Empowering India. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Poonjar Election result 2011". Empowering India. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
|This article about a Kerala politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|