P. J. Kurien
|Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha|
21 August 2012
|Preceded by||K Rahman Khan|
30 March 1941 |
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|United Progressive Alliance
|Alma mater||St. Thomas College,
Government Science College,
Professor P. J. Kurien (Pallath Joseph Kurien) of Vennikulam, Kerala, is a political and social worker, Teacher and Educationist, Member of the Indian National Congress Party and the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha (Upper house of Parliament) from August 21, 2012.  In April 2013, he became Chairman of the Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (AFPPD) following unanimous election.
P. J. Kurien was born on March 31, 1941 to Mr. P. G. Joseph and Mrs. Rachel Joseph in a Syrian Christian (Marthoma) family at Vennikulam in Tiruvalla, Pathanamthitta District, Kerala. He had his early education at St. Behanas High School, Vennikulam. For higher education, he attended St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry, Kerala and at Government Science College, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh. He was a professor (Physics) at St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry, Kerala when he entered into politics.
- 1980 Member, Seventh Lok Sabha.
- 1982-85 Member, Indian Council for Agricultural Research.
- 1982-88 Member, Marine Products Export Authority.
- 1984 Member, Eighth Lok Sabha (seond term).
- 1985-87 Member, Press Council of India.
- 1985-88 Member, Spices Board.
- 1987-89 Member, Executive, Congress Parliamentary Party [C.P.P.(I)],Member, House Committee,Member, Committee on Public Undertakings.
- 1989-91 Member, Ninth Lok Sabha (third term),Chief Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party,Member, Business Advisory Committee.
- 1990 Member, Committee on Environment and Forests,1991 Member, Tenth Lok Sabha (fourth term).
- 1991-93 Union Minister of State, Industry with additional charge of Commerce.
- 1992-93 Union Minister of State, Industry,(Department of Small Scale, Agro and Rural Industries) with additional charge of Commerce.
- 1993-96 Member, All India Council of Technical Education.
- 1994-98 Chairman, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- 1995-96 Union Minister of State, Non-Conventional Energy Sources.
- 1996 Member, Eleventh Lok Sabha (fifth Term),Member, Business Advisory Committee.
- 1998-99 Member, Twelfth Lok Sabha (sixth term),Chief Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party,Member, Business Advisory Committee,Jan.
- 2005 Elected to Rajya Sabha,July 2005 onwards Nominated to the Panel of Vice-Chairmen, Rajya Sabha (re-nominated on 21 July 2006,
- 22 April 2008, 1 Aug. 2011 and 19 April 2012),Aug. 2005-May 2009 and Aug.
- 2009 - Aug - 2011 Member, Committee on Health and Family, Welfare.
- 2005 Aug onwards Member, General Purposes Committee.
- 2005 Dec - July 2006 Member, Committee on Papers Laid on the Table,July 2006 Re-elected to Rajya Sabha,Aug.
- 2006-May - 2009 Member, Committee on Water Resources,Sept.
- 2006-Oct - 2010 Sept Member, Rubber Board .
- 2006-Sept - 2009 May Member, Committee on Subordinate Legislation.
- 2007-May - 2009 April Member, Committee on Public Accounts, 2008 onwards Chief Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party, Rajya Sabha.
- 2009 Aug onwards Member, Committee on Defence.
- 2009 Dec onwards Member, Committee on Commerce, Member, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvanathpuram.
- 2009 Dec - July 2010 Member, Select Committee to examine the Commercial Division of High Courts Bill.
- 2009 April - 2010 Member, National Institutes of Technology (NIT) Council.
- 2010 Sept onwards Member, Business Advisory Committee,November 2010 onwards Member, Rubber Board.
- 2011 March onwards Member, JPC to examine matters relating to allocation and pricing of telecom licences and spectrum.
- 2012 Aug onwards Member, Committee of Privileges, Member, Committee on Rules, Chairman, Committee on Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS), Chairman, Committee on Provision of Computers to Members of Rajya Sabha,Select Committee to examine the Commercial Division of High Courts Bill.
- 2012 August 21 onwards Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha (Upper house of Parliament).
- 2013 April 11 Chairman Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development
- "Congress leader PJ Kurien elected as Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman". Economic Times.
- "P.J. Kurien is Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman". The Hindu.
- Press Trust of India (April 11, 2013). "PJ Kurien elected chairman of Asian forum of parliamentarians". Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Biodata on the Rajya Sabha website". Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "P J Kurien". India.gov.in.
K Rahman Khan
|Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha