P. J. Kurien
|P. J. Kurien|
|Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha|
21 August 2012
|Preceded by||K. Rahman Khan|
30 March 1941 |
Vennikulam, Kerala, British India
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|United Progressive Alliance
|Alma mater||St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry
Government Science College, Rewa
Professor P. J. Kurien (Pallath Joseph Kurien) of Vennikulam, Kerala, is a political and social worker, teacher and educationist. Since 21 August 2012 he has also been a Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha (the upper house of the Parliament of India) from 21 August 2012, where he sits as a member of the Member of the Indian National Congress party. 
P. J. Kurien was born on 31 March 1941 to P. G. Joseph and Rachel Joseph in a Syrian Christian (Marthoma) family at Vennikulam in Tiruvalla, Pathanamthitta District, Kerala. He had his early education at St. Behanas High School, Vennikulam. For higher education, he attended St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry, Kerala and at Government Science College, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh. He was a professor of Physics at St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry, when he entered politics.
- 1980-84 Member, Seventh Lok Sabha.
- 1982-85 Member, Indian Council for Agricultural Research.
- 1982-88 Member, Marine Products Export Authority.
- 1984-89 Member, Eighth Lok Sabha.
- 1985-87 Member, Press Council of India.
- 1985-88 Member, Spices Board.
- 1987-89 Member, Executive, Congress Parliamentary Party [C.P.P.(I)],Member, House Committee,Member, Committee on Public Undertakings.
- 1989-91 Member, Ninth Lok Sabha, Chief Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party, Member of the Business Advisory Committee.
- 1990-91 Member, Committee on Environment and Forests,
- 1991-96 Member, Tenth Lok Sabha.
- 1991-93 Union Minister of State, Industry with additional charge of Commerce.
- 1992-93 Union Minister of State, Industry,(Department of Small Scale, Agro and Rural Industries) with additional charge of Commerce.
- 1993-96 Member, All India Council of Technical Education.
- 1994-98 Chairman, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- 1995-96 Union Minister of State, Non-Conventional Energy Sources.
- 1996-98 Member, Eleventh Lok Sabha, Member of the Business Advisory Committee.
- 1998-99 Member, Twelfth Lok Sabha, Chief Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party,Member, Business Advisory Committee,Jan.
- 2005 Elected to Rajya Sabha,July 2005 onwards Nominated to the Panel of Vice-Chairmen, Rajya Sabha (re-nominated on 21 July 2006,
- 22 April 2008, 1 August 2011 and 19 April 2012),Aug. 2005-May 2009 and Aug.
- 2009 - Aug - 2011 Member, Committee on Health and Family, Welfare.
- 2005 Aug onwards Member, General Purposes Committee.
- 2005 Dec - July 2006 Member, Committee on Papers Laid on the Table,July 2006 Re-elected to Rajya Sabha,Aug.
- 2006-May - 2009 Member, Committee on Water Resources,Sept.
- 2006-Oct - 2010 Sept Member, Rubber Board .
- 2006-Sept - 2009 May Member, Committee on Subordinate Legislation.
- 2007-May - 2009 April Member, Committee on Public Accounts, 2008 onwards Chief Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party, Rajya Sabha.
- 2009 Aug onwards Member, Committee on Defence.
- 2009 Dec onwards Member, Committee on Commerce, Member, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvanathpuram.
- 2009 Dec - July 2010 Member, Select Committee to examine the Commercial Division of High Courts Bill.
- 2009 April - 2010 Member, National Institutes of Technology (NIT) Council.
- 2010 Sept onwards Member, Business Advisory Committee,November 2010 onwards Member, Rubber Board.
- 2011 March onwards Member, JPC to examine matters relating to allocation and pricing of telecom licences and spectrum.
- 2012 Aug onwards Member, Committee of Privileges, Member, Committee on Rules, Chairman, Committee on Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS), Chairman, Committee on Provision of Computers to Members of Rajya Sabha,Select Committee to examine the Commercial Division of High Courts Bill.
- 2012 August 21 onwards Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha (Upper house of Parliament).
Suryanelli rape case accusation
Kurien was accused in the Suryanelli rape case. The case involved the sexual assault and harassment of a 16-year-old Indian girl by at least 40 people. Dharmarajan, also accused in the case, spoke to a regional TV station about driving Kurien to the location where the victim alleges the rape occurred. He later retracted this statement. Dharmarajan has since been charged. Kurien has maintained his innocence and police investigations into the case have also deemed him innocent.  There is speculation that Kurien's political power led to his exoneration. 
- "Congress leader PJ Kurien elected as Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman". Economic Times.
- "P.J. Kurien is Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman". The Hindu.
- "Biodata on the Rajya Sabha website". Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "P J Kurien". India.gov.in.
- "Suryanelli rape case: Kerala High Court rejects petition against PJ Kurien".
- "Will PJ Kurien be made an accused in the Suryanelli rape case? Court order likely today".
K Rahman Khan
|Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha