P. S. Senior Secondary School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|P S Senior Secondary School|
|33 Alarmelmangapuram, Mylapore, Chennai
|Motto||"Shilene Shobitha Vidya" (Sanskrit)|
|Principal||Mrs. Lakshmi Srinivasan|
|Grades||Pre-KG to class XII|
|Number of students||3200|
|Affiliation||Central Board of Secondary Education, India|
P.S. Senior Secondary School is situated in the Mylapore area of Chennai, India. Most students graduating enter higher education institutions especially engineering institutions like Indian Institutes of Technology, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, NIT Tiruchi, National University of Singapore and Anna University. It is rated among the top five schools in Chennai city.
The school was founded by Mr. Pennathur Subramania Iyer. The emphasis of the Tamil Nadu state Government on Tamil being used as the medium of instruction was causing a fall in Tamil Nadu’s share of employment in all-India and Central services and in the National Science and Technology establishments. In 1973 P.S. Charities promoted the establishment of English medium schools. The P.S. Educational Society started, on 9 June 1976, P.S. Senior Secondary School, starting with standards I-VII from 1976.
P.S.Senior Secondary School ( It is affiliated with the CBSE ), was started to help the public and very importantly, the employees of the central government and in the matter of the educational affairs of their children . The school is located in a spacious campus with well-equipped science laboratories and libraries . The school has a playground which spans over 10,000 sq.metres and a lot of importance is given to sports . The school also houses an exclusive ' Art-Center ' which focuses on identifying and nurturing talent.
This decision was passed in the court case at the Madras High Court, labelled 'DR.S.Anandalakshmy versus Govt Of India CBSE'
- Art Center
- Hall for yoga/dance classes
- Halls for conducting dance, music (vocal and instrumental), drawing and craft classes
- Hall for English Language Activity Centre for Classes I to VIII.
- Five Audio Visual rooms to enable computer aided teaching
- Math Lab for classes I – X
- Computer Labs
- UPS supported Computer Lab with 65 computers and 2 servers for Classes IX – XII.
- Junior Computer lab with 25 computers supported by five host computers for Classes I – VIII
- Sekhar Hall - an air-conditioned lecture hall with a seating capacity of 150, where lectures, workshops and in-service programmes are conducted.
- Auditorium with fully equipped audio system) with a seating capacity of 400.
- KG Activity Room
- Examination Hall to accommodate 150 students
- Science Labs (Secondary and Senior Secondary) for Physics, Chemistry and Biology with a capacity to accommodate 40 students at a time.
- Junior Science Lab for the Middle School segment
- Environmental Science Lab for Primary students
- Main Computerised Library with a stock of 20,000 books
- Junior Library with 5000 Books
- Add on library (computerised) with a circulating inventory of 1500 latest books, which is replenished at the rate of 100 fresh titles every month
- K.G Library with a stock of 1000 books
- Teacher Resource Centre houses internet-enabled computers with broadband connection.
♦ For classes IX - XII, an interactive material called Everonn has been added. It is a e- learning material and is introduced for better interaction
- P.C.Sekhar – Founder Correspondent (1976–1994)
- A.R.Jagannathan - Honorary Secretary and Correspondent (1994–2005 )
- A.N.Radhakrishnan - Honorary Secretary and Correspondent (since 2005)
- Thangam – first Principal (1976–1978)
- Alamelu Ganapathi – Principal - 1978-1999
- Vijayalakshmi Srivatsan – Principal - 1999-2007
- Lakshmi Srinivasan - Principal - 2007 - Till date
The school is situated on a 3.2-acre (13,000 m2) campus with a playground as its center, divided into four blocks:
- Administration: consists of the principal's office, the computer science laboratory, the electrical gadgets lab, the seminar and examination halls, the audio visual room and the mathematics laboratory.
- Science: houses the classrooms for middle and senior school students, the Science and Typewriting labs and the library.
- Yoga: extracurricular activities such as music and dance and indoor sports.
- Primary classrooms.
There is a kindergarten block with a small playground.
Olympiads and competitive examinations
Wins at the International and National Olympiads from 1995 to 2010:
- Mathematics Olympiad
- 1995-1996, Silver Medal (Toronto, Canada)
- 1999-2000, Silver Medal (Bucharest, Romania)
- Biology Olympiad
- 1999-2000 Silver Medal (Antalya, Turkey)
- 2001-2002 Bronze Medal (Jurmala, Latvia)
- 2002-2003 Bronze Medal (Minsk, Belarus)
- 2004-2005 Gold Medal (Beijing, China)
- 2007-2008 Silver Medal (Mumbai, India)
- Chemistry Olympiad
- 2001-2002 Bronze Medal (Groningen, Netherlands)
- 2002-2003 Gold Medal (Athens, Greece)
- 2002-2003 Silver Medal (Athens, Greece)
- 2005 Silver Medal (Taipei, Taiwan)
- 2004 Gold Medal - National Level Olympiad
- 2004 Gold Medal - National Level Olympiad
- 2009 Top 10 Medal at National Level Olympiad
- International Olympiad for Informatics
- 2006 Bronze Medal.(Merida, Mexico)
- 2009 Silver Medal (Bulgaria)
- CBSE Under 19 National Girls Football Championship 2013 -2014 - Bronze Medal.
- Commonwealth Chess Championship (2008) Boys Under-14 – Gold Medal
- World Youth Chess Championship 2009
- Table Tennis State Champion in Junior Girls Category
- Women State Ranking No.2
The school has four of its students in the under-16 boys cricket team.