||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
15 September 1954 
|Occupation||Director, writer, producer, actor|
|Years active||1981 – present|
|Children||Sakthi Vasu, Abhirami Vasu|
P. Vasu (born Vasudevan Peethambharam) is an Indian director, writer, and actor who works in Tamil, Kannada, Telugu and Malayalam films. In a career spanning three decades, Vasu has directed over 50 films.
Vasu's father Peethambaram Nair worked as a make-up man for M.G.R. and N.T.R. in their films in older days. He was one of the leading make-up artists during his period and was elected as the president of the make-up union, Tamil Nadu for 30 years. He later went on to become a producer.
He produced about 25 films in Tamil and Telugu and became one of the leading producers in the south. He produced with his brother M.C. Sekhar who was a cinematographer. M.C. Sekhar had worked as a cinematographer for more than 150 films. Peethambharam died on 21 February 2011 at the age of 89.
Vasu is married to Shanthi and has a son, Sakthi Vasu, who is an actor and a daughter, Abhirami Vasudevan.His mother is Kamala. Vasu's brothers are Vidyasagar, Vimal and his sisters are Vijaylakshmi,Vasantha and Vanaja.
At age 19, P. Vasu served as assistant to director B. Shridhar. He ventured into direction as Bharathi Vasu at the age of 24. Shortly after his debut, Panner Pushpangal, Vasu set out on his own to script and direct movies. Vasu worked as an assistant director to many Kannada film directors.
Vasu joined director Sridhar as an assistant. Vasu started his career with Santhana Bharathi as a co-director and made films like Panneer Pushpangal, Mella Pesungal, Sahasame Jeevitham, Neethiyin nizhal, Madhumalar.
He has directed more than 60 movies in several languages which include Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi including Aptha Mitra and Chandra mukhi.
Vasu has won recognition for his work from the film fraternity and the state government. He won state awards for three years in a row from 1990, for Best Screenplay and Dialogues in Nadigan, in 1991 as Best Director in Chinna Thambi, in 1992 for Best Screenplay and Story in Walter Vetrivel. He was awarded the Filmfare award for Best Direction in the movie Aaptha Mithra. He was awarded the Kalaimaamani Award in 2004, with his father Shri M. Peethambaram who was an awardee for his contribution in the field of make-up.
Vasu is a member of the state award selection committee and jury member of the committee for tax-free movies.
As an actor
- Vallarasu (2000) .... Kandhasamy
- Seenu (2000) ....
- Ee Parakkum Thalika (2001) (Malayalam) .... R. K. Santhanam
- Thenkasi Pattanam (2001) .... Devaraj
- Sundara Travels (2002)....
- Banda Paramasivam (2003) ....
- Arasatchi (2004) ....
- Maha Nadigan (2004) ....
- Chandramukhi (2005) .... Special appearance in song "Devuda"
- Manikanda (2007) ....
- Dasavatharam (2008) ....
- Kuselan (2008) .... Special appearance
- Naane Ennul Illai (2010) .... as himself
- Aptharakshaka (2010) .... Special appearance in song "Chamundi Thaayiyaane"
- SR (2013)....
As a writer
- Assembly Rowdy (1991) (story) (Telugu)
- Gharana Mogudu (1992) (story) (Telugu)
- Chanti (1992) (story) (Telugu)
- Purusha Lakshanam (1993) (story) (Tamil)
- SP Parasuram (1994) (story) (Telugu)
- Bhale Pellam (1994) (story) (Telugu)
- Loafer (1996) (screenplay, story) (Hindi)
- P Vasu – Man with a Midas touch . IndiaGlitz (2006-09-16). Retrieved on 2012-04-20.
- Half-century not out . IndiaGlitz (2005-04-13). Retrieved on 2012-04-20.
- P. Vasu's Father Peethambaram Passes Away. Behindwoods.com (2011-02-21). Retrieved on 2012-04-20.
- P Vasu's father Peethambaram passes away. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2011-02-22). Retrieved on 2012-04-20.
- "Film Review: ''Asathal''". The Hindu. 2001-05-25. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- ""Kadhal Kisu Kisu"". The Hindu. 2003-07-18. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Maharadhi - Telugu cinema Review - Bala Krishna, Sneha, Meera Jasmine & Navaneet Kaur". Idlebrain.com. 2007-02-01. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Movie Review : Thottal Poo Malarum". Sify. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Review: Krishnarjuna". Rediff. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Review: Rajnikanth's Kuselan". Rediff. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Aptha Rakshaka Kannada Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. 2010-02-19. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Nagavalli film review". Idlebrain.com. 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "Puli Vesham Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. 2011-08-29. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Written by: By: Prakash Upadhyaya (2012-01-26). "Arakshaka - Movie Review". OneIndia. Retrieved 2013-09-23.