PAC Rugby Conference
The PAC Rugby Conference is a conference composed of six schools from the Pacific-12 Conference that compete against each other in college rugby. The PAC Rugby Conference was formed in 2012, with conference play beginning in February 2013 to compete in Division 1-AA. Despite its D1-AA affiliation, the PAC is one of the strongest conferences in college rugby, with five of its six members ranked in the Top 25 overall. The PAC Rugby Conference began play on February 2, 2013, with Cal beating Arizona State at Witter Field in Berkeley. In 2013, a number of PAC schools (Cal, UCLA, Utah) broke away from playing Division 1-A Rugby and instead formed the Varsity Cup Championship.
History of rugby at PAC schools
Around the turn of the century, American football was frowned upon for its violence, and President Theodore Roosevelt insisted upon reform or abolition of the game. During this period of uncertainty, rugby made a brief but important reappearance in many colleges, most notably at Cal and Stanford. It was these two Universities that supplied most of the players to the two U.S. Olympic rugby teams that won gold medals at the 1920 Olympics & 1924 Olympics. (As 1924 was the last time the Olympic Games staged a rugby competition, this will make the USA the defending Olympic Champions when rugby is re-introduced in 2016).
|University of Arizona||Tucson, AZ||1885||40,223 ||$563,655,000||Wildcats||1969||Dave Sitton|
|Arizona State University||Tempe, AZ||1885||72,254 ||$500,667,000||Sun Devils||1975||Gary Lane|
|University of California, Berkeley||Berkeley, CA||1868||36,142 ||$3,150,000,000||Golden Bears||1882||Jack Clark|
|Oregon State University||Corvallis, OR||1868||26,393 ||$412,000,000||Beavers||1961||Anthony Lally|
|Univ. of California, Los Angeles||Los Angeles, CA||1919||40,675 ||$2,980,000,000||Bruins||1934||Scott Stewart|
|University of Utah||Salt Lake City, UT||1850||32,388 ||$670,411,000||Utes||???||Blake Burdette|
PAC Sevens Rugby Tournament
This PAC Sevens Rugby Tournament occurs every fall. The winner of the tournament receives an automatic berth to the USA Rugby Sevens Collegiate National Championships. The tournament debuted in 2011 where Colorado beat Utah in the final match. In 2012, all 12 of the PAC-12 schools participated for the first time and Cal wion.
|Date||Location||Champion||Final Score||Runner Up||Third||Tournament MVP||Leading Try Scorer|
|Oct. 21-22, 2011||Stanford||Colorado||14-12||Utah||UCLA||Luke Lahman||--|
|Nov. 3-4, 2012||Los Angeles||California||21-12||Utah||UCLA||--||--|
|Nov. 2-3, 2013||Los Angeles||California||22-0||UCLA||Oregon State||--||--|
- Rugby Mag, All Divisions College Top 25, Jan. 28, 2013, , http://www.rugbymag.com/cpl/6901-all-divisions-college-top-25-jan-28-2013-presented-by-selective-service-.html
- Cal Wins PAC Opener Over ASU, Feb. 2, 2013, http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-rugby/recaps/020213aaa.html
- Facts at a glance - UC Berkeley
- About Us Berkeley Endowment Management Company'.' Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- Quick Facts - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions
- UC Annual Endowment Report Office of the Treasurer of The Regents'.' Retrieved March 31, 2010.
- Cal rugby defeats Utah, clinches inaugural PAC Rugby Conference title, Mar. 30, 2013, http://www.dailycal.org/2013/03/30/cal-rugby-defeats-utah-clinches-inaugural-pac-rugby-conference-title/
- Cal Takes PAC With 43-31 Win at Utah, Mar. 15, 2014, http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209435860
- PAC 12, Cal beats Utah, 21-12, to take PAC Sevens title, Nov. 6, 2012, http://pac-12.com/Sports/Rugby/RugbyArticle/tabid/266//Article/200356/Cal-beats-Utah-21-12-to-take-PAC-Sevens-title.aspx
- Cal Wins Pac 7s, http://www.rugbymag.com/news/colleges/collegiate-sevens/6305-cal-wins-pac-7s.html
- Cal Wins PAC 7s, http://www.rugbymag.com/news/colleges/collegiate-sevens/9763-cal-wins-pac-7s.html