PCSX-Reloaded 1.9.93 running on Windows 8.1
|Developer(s)||PCSX Team, PCSX-df Team, PCSX-Reloaded Team|
|Stable release||1.9.93 / August 26, 2013|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Windows|
|License||GNU General Public License|
PCSX is a free console emulator which allows software designed to be used with the PlayStation to be used with personal computers. Over the years development changed hands several times with PCSX-Reloaded now being the main version.
PCSX has a high compatibility rate and is currently available for a number of different operating systems including Microsoft Windows, OS X, and various Linux distributions. Released under the GNU General Public License, PCSX is free software.
PCSX-df was created in 2006 and added new features, a new GTK-based interface, AMD64 support, and corrected some bugs, but was developed mainly with only Linux compatibility in mind. Version 1.10 was released on March 29, 2009.
PCSX-Reloaded is a new project created in mid-2009, which is based on the work of the PCSX-df branch, completely independent, and works on bug fixes while maintaining Windows and OS X compatibility alongside Linux. PCSX-df and PCSX-Reloaded coexisted for a while with PCSX-df merging changes of PCSX-Reloaded back into df.
PCSX features support for network play and for external plugins as used by ePSXe. As with many modern emulators PCSX-Reloaded supports savestates and it also has Save Rewind feature (currently only OSX and Linux version), Support for ECM files (currently only OSX and Linux version), Support for Libarchive (currently only OSX and Linux version), widescreen hack and makes use of plug-ins to emulate GPU, SPU, and CD-ROM drive functions, a model first established in PSEmu Pro, it uses Peops OpenGL plugin for graphics on default but can also use PeteOpenGL2Tweak, Pete's OpenGL2, GPU Bladesoft, PCSX2 graphics plugin GSDX, AmiDog GPU plugin and Asmodeans PSXFX shader pack. It also has multi-track cue support. Additionally, PCSX seeks to simulate the functionality of the PlayStation BIOS and consequently does not require a BIOS file dump to operate, making it easier to emulate legally, however Bios emulation is still incomplete so its better to use dumped bios to avoid various bugs and reduced compatibility. However Windows version is currently unmaintained and has inferior feature set
Linux, OS X, and Windows on x86-based computers are the main development focus of PCSX-Reloaded but various PCSX iterations have been ported to other platforms as well, including Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox, and various ARM-based platforms such as BlackBerry Playbook.
- Original PCSX project website[dead link]
- PCSX ReARMed – PCSX-Reloaded for ARM platforms
- "PCSX-Reloaded". EmuCR.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Review of Mac PCSX Test 3". Kator Legaz. 2005-02-02. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- linuzappz (September 17, 2003). "Playstation Emulator". PCSX. Retrieved 2013-03-14. "[…]i haven't coded for pcsx in some months, i don't have the time anymore, due to pcsx2, work, life and so on…"
- "Playstation 2 Emulator News". PCSX2. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "pcsx-df | Main". Pcsx-df.sourceforge.net. 2009-03-29. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- pcsx-df (2009-03-29). "PCSX-df – Browse Files". Sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "PCSX-Reloaded - Home". Pcsxr.codeplex.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "SourceForge.net Repository - [pcsx-df] Revision 10". Pcsx-df.svn.sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Pcsx-Dc". DCEmulation. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "pcsxgc - A port of the PS1 emulator, PCSX, to the Nintendo GC/Wii - Google Project Hosting". Code.google.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "ps3sx - Original PCSX port on PS3 By Anonymous - Google Project Hosting". Code.google.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "pcsx-revolution - [CLOSED] Port of pcsx for Nintendo Wii (formerly Revolution). - Google Project Hosting". Code.google.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Pcsxbox". Xport.xbox-scene.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- notaz. "Pcsx Rearmed". Notaz.gp2x.de. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "CatalystG/PCSX-reARMed-PB 路 GitHub". Github.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "PCSX-ReARMed-PB – PlayStation Emulator Now Available for the PlayBook". NerdBerry.net. 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2013-03-14.