The PEN/Malamud Award and Memorial Reading honors "excellence in the art of the short story", and is awarded annually by the PEN/Faulkner Foundation. The selection committee is composed of PEN/Faulkner directors and representatives of Bernard Malamud's literary executors. The award was first given in 1988.
Fiction award winners
- 2013 George Saunders
- 2012 James Salter
- 2011 Edith Pearlman
- 2010 Edward P. Jones and Nam Le
- 2009 Alistair MacLeod and Amy Hempel
- 2008 Cynthia Ozick and Peter Ho Davies
- 2007 Elizabeth Spencer
- 2006 Adam Haslett and Tobias Wolff
- 2005 Lorrie Moore
- 2004 Richard Bausch and Nell Freudenberger
- 2003 Barry Hannah and Maile Meloy
- 2002 Junot Diaz and Ursula K. Le Guin
- 2001 Sherman Alexie and Richard Ford
- 2000 Ann Beattie and Nathan Englander
- 1999 T. Coraghessan Boyle
- 1998 John Barth
- 1997 Alice Munro
- 1996 Joyce Carol Oates
- 1995 Stuart Dybek and William Maxwell
- 1994 Grace Paley
- 1993 Peter Taylor
- 1992 Eudora Welty
- 1991 Frederick Busch and Andre Dubus
- 1990 George Garrett
- 1989 Saul Bellow
- 1988 John Updike
- Peggy Whitman Prenshaw (1991). "David Streitfeld 1992". More Conversations With Eudora Welty. Univ. Press of Mississippi. p. 246.
- BARBARA GAMAREKIAN (October 25, 1988). "BOOKS OF THE TIMES; America's Company Town Is a City of Writers". New York Times.
- "James Salter to Receive PEN Malamud Award for Short Fiction". Poets & Writers. May 31, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.