||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
|Original author(s)||Francisco Burzi|
|Stable release||8.2 / May 22, 2009|
|Type||Content management system|
|License||GNU General Public License|
PHP-Nuke is a web-based automated news publishing and content management system based on PHP and MySQL originally written by Francisco Burzi. The system is controlled using a web-based user interface. PHP-Nuke was originally a fork of the Thatware news portal system.
PHP-Nuke was originally released under the GNU General Public License as free software. Versions after 7.5 require a license fee. This is permitted under the GNU GPL (providing the source code is included), and the purchaser of the software has the right to freely distribute the source code of the product. Burzi no longer owns the PHP-Nuke site.
Features of 
PHP-Nuke is a content management system allowing webmasters to create community-based portals (websites), allowing users and editors to post news items (user-submitted news items are selected by editors) or other types of articles. Registered users can then comment on these articles.
Modules can be added to the PHP-Nuke system allowing additional features such as an Internet forum, Calendar, News Feed, FAQ's, Private Messaging and others. The site is maintained through an administration interface.
PHP-Nuke includes the following standard modules:
- Avantgo—Provides mobile versions of the last 10 news articles
- Content—Manages the main content "pages"
- Downloads—Manages file downloads. There are no uploads—it stores links to files on other servers
- Encyclopedia—Manages phrases/words and definitions
- FAQ—Manages Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Feedback—Communicate to the webmaster. It is an online form, but provides feedback via email.
- Forums—Manages discussion forums for the site. It is based on bb2nuke, which is a PHP-Nuke port of the popular open-source phpBB discussion board.
- Journal—Maintain public and/or private notes
- Members List—Displays site members
- News—Manages news stories, including future-dated news to be released at a specific date and time. Each article can be assigned to a single category.
- Private Messages—Allows members to send private messages to others on the site. Members can prevent messages from other members.
- Recommend Us—Send an email message recommending the site to others.
- Search—Allows users to search your site.
- Statistics—Displays summary and detailed site statistics, including page views.
- Stories (News) Archives—Provides access to older news articles.
- Submit News—Allow visitors to submit news. Email notification is sent, but the submission is stored in the administrator control panel. Administrator can delete, edit, and/or post the article without rekeying.
- Surveys (Polls)—Create visitor surveys
- Top—Displays the most-visited articles, downloads, etc.
- Topics—Displays news by topic. The administrator defines the topics and assigns topics to content.
- Web Links—Manages a hierarchical directory of links to selected websites
- Your Account—Manages members "profile" information, including their preferred theme, the number of news articles to display on their home page, etc.
PHP-Nuke supports many languages and its look and feel can be customized using the Themes system, but major changes requires knowledge of PHP, HTML and CSS.
- Several security holes have been discovered in PHP-Nuke, including SQL injection via unchecked PHP code.
- PHP-Nuke may have issues with some search engine indexes. PHP-Nuke does not use simple URLs or unique titles for pages..
Notable forks include:
- Dragonfly CMS — based on PHP-Nuke 6.5 with Coppermine Photo Gallery included
- Nuke-Evolution — Many security fixes, custom modifications, and modifications pre-installed
- Clean Nuke based on PHP-Nuke 7.6/WL Nuke 1.1 is a special version for simple content website.
- RavenNuke CMS — 7.6, with many security fixes, custom modifications, add-ons, and XHTML 1.0 Transitional compliance
- phpWebSite —
- Postnuke — 5.0
- XOOPS — PHP-Nuke and myPHPNuke
- PNC — PHP-Nuke with vWar and SQuery included. Customized for gaming and clan community
- NPDS One of the most advanced Community Management System - Actually REvolution 2011 release
PHP-Nuke is distributed for free and licensed under the GNU/GPL license; however, current versions must be purchased and can then be distributed for free.