Professional Lighting and Sound Association
|Headquarters||New York City, USA|
CEO & Director of Events
|British Association of Discotheque Equipment Manufacturers (BADEM)|
The Professional Lighting and Sound Association (PLASA) is a trade association with offices in Eastbourne, United Kingdom and New York City, USA. Its membership is made up of companies involved with the events and entertainments technology sector.
PLASA was originally known as the British Association of Discotheque Equipment Manufacturers (BADEM), a name used between 1976 and 1983. In 2010 it merged with the Entertainment Services and Technology Association.
PLASA performed lobbying of Ofcom and other British Government entities in the late 2000s when users of radio microphones and similar devices complained that their equipment would be rendered unusable as a result of proposed plans to auction the radio spectrum utilised by many of such devices as part of the digital television switchover.
PLASA's activities include lobbying, organising trade show events (including the PLASA Show), publishing both technical and industry news products (such as Protocol, Lighting & Sound International and Lighting & Sound America), developing industry standards and developing industry certification schemes.
Since merging with ESTA, PLASA has taken on the role of maintaining the industry standards for DMX512 and RDM. PLASA have also been responsible for the development of a UK National Rigging Certificate, which launched in 2007 for individuals working in the entertainments rigging industry.
- Entertainment Services and Technology Association (ESTA)
- PLASA Show
- Lighting & Sound International
- Lighting & Sound America
- Association of British Theatre Technicians
- Remote Device Management (RDM)
- DMX 512
- "PLASA case study". EAL Website. EAL. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Plasa Team". PLASA Website. Professional Lighting and Sound Association. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Multiform Lighting History". Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Low, Andrew (4 Jun 2010). "PLASA and ESTA members approve merger". Audio Pro International. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Vanderkar, Lauren (18 Jun 2010). "PLASA and ESTA vote to merge". Lighting.co.uk. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Barrett, Andy. "BEIRG representatives to meet MPs". Music Instrument Professional. Intent Media. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Austin, Jeremy. "Experts warning of catastrophe in digital switchover". The Stage. The Stage Media Company Ltd. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "PLASA - Publications - Protocol". PLASA Media Website. PLASA. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Plasa in Profile". PLASA Website. Professional Lighting and Sound Association. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Huntington, John (2012). Show Networks and Control Systems. John Huntington. pp. 241, 259. ISBN 0615655904.
- Greet, Goode, Bonner, Rossington, Parsons, N.J., T, Ron, Ruth, J (2007). PLASA National Rigging Certificate Handbook. Eastbourne: Professional Lighting and Sound Association (PLASA). ISBN 0955703506.
- "The PLASA National Rigging Certificate (NRC)". UK Rigging Website. UK Rigging. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
|This article about a business, industry, or trade-related organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|