POZ #185, January/February 2013 cover featuring AIDS educators Nathaniel and Linda Scruggs
|Editor in Chief||Oriol R. Gutierrez Jr.|
|Former editors||Sean O'Brien Strub (Founder and Advisory Editor), Regan Hofmann|
|Publisher||Megan Strub (Executive Vice President of Smart + Strong and Publisher)|
|Company||Smart + Strong|
|Based in||New York City|
The magazine was founded in 1994  by Sean Strub, an HIV-positive and openly gay businessman and activist. Before launching POZ, Strub was involved with numerous social issues, including politics, environmentalism, civil rights, LGBT rights and HIV/AIDS. He is now executive director of the Sero Project, which focuses on ending inappropriate criminal prosecutions of people with HIV.
POZ is published by Smart + Strong, which also publishes AIDSmeds.com, a website for HIV/AIDS treatment information; Real Health, a magazine and website for African-American health; Tu Salud, a magazine and website for Latino health; Sane, a website for mental wellness; and Hep, a website for hepatitis information.
In 2004, Strub sold Smart + Strong to CDM Publishing, LLC. Jeremy Grayzel is CEO of CDM Publishing and Smart + Strong. He was president of VNU eMedia (now known as Nielsen Business Media). Ian Anderson is president of Smart + Strong. He was director of product development at VNU eMedia. Megan Strub is publisher and executive vice president of Smart + Strong. She was part of the launch of POZ in 1994.
In 2006, Regan Hofmann  became editor-in-chief of POZ. She was the writer of the magazine’s “Anonymous” column. Previously, Hofmann was editor-in-chief of New Jersey Life and founded Poets, Artists & Madmen. She is now a consultant focused on strategy, communications and change in the field of global health.
In 2012, Oriol R. Gutierrez Jr. became editor-in-chief of POZ. He was deputy editor since 2008. Previously, Gutierrez was managing editor of DiversityInc, as well as cofounder, publisher and editor-in-chief of LGNY Latino.
- Cassidy, William; August 2005; “Accent on the POZitive? AIDS Coverage in POZ, A Magazine for HIV-Positive Individuals”; Atlantic Journal of Communication, Volume 13, Issue 3, pages 169-182
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,“Timeline of Major Media and Cultural Events in HIV and AIDS History – 1994”
- Sero Project's Site, "What We Do"
- POZ.com, POZ Staff Bios
- Miller, Lia; “A Poz Columnist is Named Its Editor”; The New York Times; March 13, 2006
- Regan Hofmann's Site, "About Regan"
- POZ.com, "Oriol Gutierrez Named Editor-in-Chief of POZ"