PSG College of Technology
|PSG College of Technology|
Seal of PSG Tech
|Motto||Knowledge and Service|
|Type||Private (government aided)|
|Principal||Dr. R. Rudramoorthy|
|Location||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Campus||Urban, 45 acres|
|Affiliations||University of Madras (1951-78)
Bharathiar University (1978-2001)
Anna University (2001- )
PSG College of Technology is an autonomous, government aided, private engineering college in Coimbatore, India. It is affiliated to Anna University. The college offers a total of 48 full-time and part-time programs in Science, Engineering and Management at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The college was founded in 1951 by Dr.G.R.Damodaran as the first private engineering institution established in Tamil Nadu. It is affiliated to PSG & Sons Charities Trust.
|Engineering – India|
|* Limited participation|
PSG Industrial institute was established in 1926 by PSG and sons charities in Peelamedu, Coimbatore. The engineering college was started in the institute campus in 1951 by Dr.G.R.Damodaran, who became its first principal. The college was conferred autonomous status by University of Madras in 1978, which was continued by the Bharathiar University and subsequently by Anna University since 2001.
About 48 full-time and part-time programs in science, engineering and management at undergraduate and postgraduate levels by the 11 engineering and technology, computer applications, management sciences, basic sciences and humanities departments. The institute offer three 5-year integrated sandwich engineering courses which combines class room coaching with industrial training, one of the few in the country to offer such a course. Among the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes offered by the college, many are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation of the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE). Being autonomous, the college frames its own curricula, updates syllabus, introduces new courses and is empowered to administer its own evaluation system. Since 1960, PSG College of Technology has been publishing the "PSG Design Data Book", the engineering Data hand book, used throughout the country by engineers and students.
PSG College of Technology was ranked 14 in India Today 's Best Engineering Colleges in India of 2014 and 18 in Outlook India 's Top Engineering Colleges of 2012. In rankings limited to private colleges it was ranked 4 by Mint 's Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009.
The Students Union is the apex body which controls all the aspects of student life including other clubs and societies. The college has many student-run clubs including Fine arts (drawing, multimedia and photography), Dramatics (cultural), English Literary Society (English literature and communication), Entrepreneurs Club (entrepreneurship), Martial Arts Club (martial arts), Pathshala (Hindi literature), Tech music (music), Tamil Mandram (Tamil literature), Rotaract (social welfare), Youth Red Cross (health and well being), Global Leaders Forum (innovation and leadership), Cap and Nature Club (environment), Astronomy Club (astronomy), Association of Serious Quizzers (quizzing), Brains trust (mathematics and problem solving) and Higher Education Forum (higher eeducation). Apart from these clubs, student wings of NCC and NSS also function on campus.
PSG Tech hostel was established in 27 February 1958. The hostels accommodates about 4300 students in 14 blocks named from A to N of which 5 blocks dedicated to women. There are five student dining halls, an auditorium, a library, a computer center and a guest house attached to the hostels.
Since 2005, the college conducts an international techno-management festival called Kriya. Every year in February, PSG also plays host to Renaissance, a two-day inter-collegiate cultural festival. Intrams is the intra-college cultural festival which is conducted in September.
- Mylswamy Annadurai, Project Director of Chandrayaan-1 and Chandrayaan-2, Currently Programme Director IRS & SSS (Indian Remote Sensing & Small, Science and Student Satellites)
- Shiv Nadar, Chairman and CSO of HCL Technologies
- K. Pandiarajan, founder Director of Mafoi Consultants
- Sundaram Karivardhan, Industraliast and Motorsport pioneer
- Anand Chandrasekaran, Chief Product Officer of Bharti Airtel
- G. V. Loganathan, former professor, Virginia Tech
- A. G. Ramakrishnan, Professor, Indian Institute of Science
- Y. S. Chowdary, Minister of State, Science and Technology & Earth Sciences, Government of India
- Kalidhindi B. R. Varma, Vice Chancellor, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning
- Mahesh Muthuswami, Cinematographer
- Madhusudhan Rao Lagadapati, Executive Chairman of Lanco Infratech
- Aparna B Marar, Classical dancer
- Jose K. Mani, Member of Parliament
- Sundar Raman, COO Indian Premier League
- "Best Engineering colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "GHRDC-CSR Engineering Colleges Survey 2013" (PDF). Competition Success Review (Competition Success Review and the Global Human Resources Development Centre): 1–6. July 2013.
- "Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "About us, PSG Tech". Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Coimbatore's charity trusts have ensured that the district has a unique place in the areas of higher education and medical care". Frontline. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Clubs of PSG Tech". Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Kriya Techno-Management Festival". Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Outstanding Alumni Award" (PDF).
- "Distinguished Alumni". Electronics & Communication Engineering, PSG College of Technology. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PSG College of Technology.|