|Purpose||Certification of Wireless Devices|
The PTCRB was established in 1997 as the certification forum by North American cellular operators. Now a pseudo-acronym, it no longer stands for its original meaning of the PCS Type Certification Review Board (then named after the GSM1900 MHz band in North America).
The purpose of the PTCRB is to provide the framework within which Cellular GERAN (GSM), UTRA (UMTS) and E-UTRA (LTE) mobile devices and modules obtain Type Certification for usage on PTCRB Operator networks.
PTCRB operates a certification program for devices operating in the following technologies and bands:
GERAN: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz UTRA: FDD Band II, FDD Band IV, FDD Band V E-UTRA: FDD Band 2, FDD Band 4, FDD Band 5, FDD Band 7, FDD Band 12, FDD Band 13, FDD Band 14, FDD Band 17, FDD Band 25, TDD band 41
PTCRB certification is based on standards developed by 3GPP, OMA and other SDO's recognized by the PTCRB. In some cases, PTCRB certification may accommodate North American standards and additional requirements from the FCC, Industry Canada or any other government agency that may have jurisdiction and/or competence in the matter.
The database containing the standards for PTCRB certification is based on InterLab®, this online database accessible through the PTCRB website, updates the status of RFT's (Request for Testing), Change Requests, Test Case status and Test Platforms.
By obtaining PTCRB Certification on a mobile device, it ensures compliance with cellular network standards within the PTCRB Operators' networks. Consequently, PTCRB Operators may block devices from their network, if they are not PTCRB certified.
The PVG (PTCRB Validation Group) is a group of test laboratory organizations working in the field of PTCRB associated technologies. The PVG group meets on a regular basis to discuss technical issues and the resolution of problems in a harmonized way. PVG works on open PTCRB RfTs and the validation of Test Platforms and Test Cases for the relevant PTCRB operating frequencies. Full and Observer membership categories reflect the status and scopes of organisations working within the group. The Chair of the PVG is held by Thomas Jaeger of 7Layers, Germany
Some Mobile Network Operators may require further certification before a device is allowed to be placed on a network and it is recommended that advice be sought to ensure any additional requirements are met.
PTCRB Award of Excellence
The main criteria for the “PTCRB Award of Excellence” includes:
- the number and value of test case contributions and the respective enhancement of industry standards
- the capability to exceed expectations when working together with PTCRB
- the feedback regarding laboratory performance received by the PTCRB from network operators and the CTIA.
The PTCRB award underlines the importance of choosing professional and reliable partners in the fast-changing wireless-technologies environment. At PTCRB Meeting #71 in Savannah, Georgia, the PTCRB wireless device certification forum presented the “PTCRB Award of Excellence” to 7Layers, CETECOM and Panasonic Imperium Test Laboratory for their outstanding work at the PTCRB.
Upcoming PTCRB and PVG Meetings
PVG meeting 68 will be held February 25 - 26, 2015 in Singapore.
PTCRB Meeting 79 will be held March 16 – 19, 2015 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Meeting registration information can be found on the PTCRB website for members only access
- PTCRB: http://www.ptcrb.com official website for the PTCRB. Membership application required to view information
The listings below include Full PTCRB accredited laboratories (in alpha/numerical order) with Global networks of laboratories which conduct testing to the requirements of the PTCRB.
- 7Layers Group http://www.7layers.com a group with PTCRB certified test laboratories in Germany, North America, Korea, Japan and China.
- AT4 wireless http://www.at4wireless.com a group with PTCRB certified test laboratories in Spain, North America and Taiwan.
- Bureau Veritas ADT http://www.adt.com.tw/ a group with a PTCRB certified test laboratory in Taiwan.
- CETECOM Group http://www.cetecom.com a group with PTCRB certified test laboratories in Germany, North America and Korea.
- SGS Wireless http://www.sgs.com a group with PTCRB certified test laboratories in Taiwan and Korea.
- UL Verification Services http://www.ul.com/ a group with PTCRB certified test laboratories in United Kingdom and North America
- Korea Testing Laboratory http://www.ktl.re.kr a group with PTCRB certified test laboratories in Korea