|Designer(s)||Aleksandra Korolkova, Olga Umpelova, Vladimir Yefimov|
|Date released||13 January 2010|
|License||SIL Open Font License or ParaType Free Font License|
PT Sans (also known as ПТ Санс in Russian) is a free/libre sans-serif font created by ParaType in 2009 and updated several times since then. It was designed to support all the different variations of Cyrillic script used by the minority languages of Russia. Its development was sponsored by Rospechat. Originally, the font was released under ParaType's own Free Font License. In February 2010, the foundry released an alternative PT Sans package under the English-language SIL Open Font License.
PT Sans includes Latin and Cyrillic characters and covers almost all minority languages of the Russian Federation. It comes in 3 major variations: normal, narrow, and caption (a wider version of the typeface, designed for legibility at small font sizes and on outdoor signs). The normal variation is available in roman, italic, bold, and bold italic, while narrow and caption are only available in roman and bold.
The fonts include the unofficial slashed-Р ruble symbol at the U+20B9…U+20CF code points.
Operating system support
- "Создан шрифт, поддерживающий все языки народов России" (in Russian). Vesti. 2010-01-13. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Разработан новый шрифт с поддержкой всех языков Российской Федерации" (in Russian). Rossiyskaya Gazeta. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "New version of PT Sans". 2010-04-02. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Bug 556308 - Review Request: paratype-pt-sans-fonts - A pan-Cyrillic typeface". Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Gentoo Bug 314503 - media-fonts/pt-sans (new package)". Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "OS X Lion default fonts".
- The font's homepage in English and Russian
- The post in the official ParaType blog announcing PT Sans and telling the story of the project (in Russian)