Paavo O. Airola, Ph.D., N.D., (1918 - 1983) was a nutritionist, naturopathic physician, educator and award-winning author.
Raised and educated in Europe, Dr. Airola studied biochemistry, nutrition, and natural healing in biological medical centers of Sweden, Germany, and Switzerland. He lectured extensively worldwide, both to professionals and laymen, holding yearly educational seminars for physicians. He was a visiting lecturer at universities and medical schools, including the Stanford University Medical School.
Dr. Paavo Airola authored fourteen books, two of which became international best-sellers: How to Get Well and Are You Confused? How to Get Well has been used as a textbook in several universities and medical schools. The American Academy of Public Affairs issued Dr. Airola the Award of Merit for his book on arthritis.
Dr. Airola served as president of the International Academy of Biological Medicine; a member of the International Naturopathic Association; and a member of the International Society for Research on Civilization Diseases and Environment, the forum for worldwide research founded by Dr. Albert Schweitzer.
Dr. Airola promoted natural healing through a diet of nutritious, whole foods and holistic medicine. The Airola Diet & Cookbook contains recipes and Dr. Airola's Weight Loss Program, along with a presentation of the scientific basis for the Airola Diet.
During his lifetime, mainstream medicine regarded Dr. Airola as a controversial figure, presenting therapeutic approaches which challenged traditional medicine. Many of his views have become more widely accepted in recent decades, such as the efficacy of antioxidants against free-radical action. Detractors include J. Darlene Forester and Sheree L.T. Thompson, who published an article in 1987 disputing some of Airola's findings, while conceding others.
Paavo Airola began his career as an artist. After World War II, he emigrated to Canada, where he lived near Cobourg, Ontario and was first instructor of the Cobourg Art Club. He then moved to the United States, settling in Arizona. His artwork is displayed at the Gallery of Northumberland.
Dr. Paavo Airola died at age 64 of a stroke, which was the result of complications from injuries sustained during his emigration from Finland to Canada after World War II.
- 1965 Stop Hair Loss ISBN 0-932090-06-0
- 1971 How to Keep Slim, Healthy and Young With Juice Fasting ISBN 0-932090-02-8
- 1971 Are You Confused? ISBN 0-932090-04-4
- 1972 Swedish Beauty Secrets ISBN 0-932090-07-9
- 1972 Cancer: Causes, Prevention and Treatment - The Total Approach ISBN 0-932090-05-2
- 1980 The Miracle of Garlic ISBN 0-932090-08-7
- 1982 The Airola Diet and Cookbook
- 1982 Worldwide Secrets for Staying Young ISBN 0-932090-12-5
- 1984 Hypoglycemia: A Better Approach ISBN 0-932090-01-X
- 1984 How to Get Well: Handbook of Natural Healing ISBN 0-932090-03-6
- 1988 There is a Cure for Arthritis ISBN 0-13-914698-9
- 1979 Everywoman's Book ISBN 0-932090-10-9
- Pioneers of the North American Natural Health Movement Alive.com
- Art Gallery of Northumberland History
- Art Gallery of Northumberland Exhibits and Collections