Pablo Garza (fighter)
September 16, 1983
|Other names||The Scarecrow|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Fargo, North Dakota, United States|
|Team||Academy of Combat Arts|
|Rank||purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||University of North Dakota|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Pablo Garza (born September 16, 1983) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the Featherweight division. He has competed for the UFC, WEC, and was a contestant on The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck.
Garza was born in Wasco, California to parents who both emigrated from Mexico. Garza and his family moved to North Dakota where he attended high school and played baseball, basketball, and track. He continued to play basketball in college for two years at the University of North Dakota, as a point guard. He also earned a degree in exercise science and personal training at the University of North Dakota. While Garza was in college, he worked two jobs at a factory making windmill blades and also did an internship at a gym.
Garza trains out of Dylan Spicers' MMA gym the Academy of Combat Arts in Fargo, ND, as well as the Academy in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota with the likes of Jacob Volkmann, Nik Lentz, Pat Barry and coach Greg Nelson. Garza is a predominantly ground based fighter, where he has managed to secure several submission victories. A Fargo, North Dakota-based Mexican American from Grafton, North Dakota,
The Ultimate Fighter
After leaving the UFC, Garza fought in smaller, outside promotions. Before his Ultimate Fighter fight with Michael Johnson had even aired on television, Garza faced William Joplin, winning via unanimous decision. The fight, which was predominantly stand-up based, saw Garza break the nose of Joplin, before taking control of the fight.
Garza then faced Aaron Steele on September 11, 2010. In preparation for the fight, Garza visited Minnesota Martial Arts Academy, training with Sean Sherk, Jacob Volkmann and Greg Nelson. Garza went on to win the fight via TKO (punches) late in the third round.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Garza was then signed by the UFC's sister promotion, World Extreme Cagefighting. Replacing Jason Reinhardt, Garza stepped up to face Tiequan Zhang on the undercard of WEC 51 on 5 days notice. He lost the fight via submission in the first round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In October 2010, World Extreme Cagefighting merged with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As part of the merger, all WEC fighters were transferred to the UFC.
Garza made his UFC and featherweight debut against Fredson Paixão at The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck Finale. This was the first ever featherweight fight in the UFC. Garza knocked Paixão out 51 seconds into the first round with a flying knee. After being unconscious for nearly two minutes, Paixão was on his back for close to four minutes while being given oxygen, before being placed in a neck brace and carried out on a stretcher. Garza earned Knockout of the Night honors for the performance.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||12 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||12–4||Diego Brandao||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||1||3:27||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||12–3||Mark Hominick||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 154||November 17, 2012||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||11–3||Dennis Bermudez||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||3||5:00||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Dustin Poirier||Submission (d'arce choke)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos||November 12, 2011||2||1:32||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||11–1||Yves Jabouin||Submission (flying triangle choke)||UFC 129||April 30, 2011||1||4:31||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Submission of the Night|
|Win||10–1||Fredson Paixão||KO (flying knee)||The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale||December 4, 2010||1||0:51||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Featherweight debut; Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||9–1||Zhang Tiequan||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 51||September 30, 2010||1||2:26||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||9–0||Aaron Steele||TKO (punches)||Crowbar MMA: Fall Brawl||September 11, 2010||3||2:57||Fargo, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||8–0||William Joplin||Decision (unanimous)||The Cage Inc.: Battle at the Border 6||August 21, 2010||3||5:00||Hankinson, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||7–0||Nate Bell||Submission (punches)||King of the Cage: Ice Age||March 5, 2010||1||1:00||Mahnomen, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||6–0||Jayson Fuentes||Submission (rear naked choke)||EB: Beatdown at 4 Bears 6||February 13, 2010||2||4:54||New Town, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||5–0||Caleb Wolff||Submission (armbar)||Brutaal Fight Night: All American Cage Fighting||December 12, 2009||1||3:37||Bismarck, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||4–0||Mitch Jackson||Submission (triangle choke)||Max Fights 6||August 29, 2009||1||0:53||Fargo, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||3–0||Jonathan Knutson||Decision (unanimous)||EB: Beatdown at 4 Bears 4||March 21, 2009||3||5:00||New Town, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||2–0||Tyler Larson||Submission (kimura)||Max Fights 4||July 19, 2008||1||3:38||Fargo, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||1–0||Mike Davis||Submission (guillotine choke)||KO: Productions||August 11, 2007||1||0:38||Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States|
- "In Spite of His UFC Success, Pablo Garza Says His Mom Still Doesn’t Know Exactly What It Is He Does For a Living". CagePotato.com. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Pablo Garza". sherdog.com. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
- "Spike TV unveils TUF 12 cast: Pablo Garza". sherdog.com. August 3, 2010.
- Pablo "The Scarecrow" Garza - Official UFC® Fighter Profile
- Garza back and fighting at UFC event - The Forum, Fargo, ND
- "Meet the cast for "The Ultimate Fighter 12," field includes 28 lightweights". mmajunkie.com. August 3, 2010.
- "Jason Reinhardt out, Pablo Garza in against Tiequan Zhang at WEC 51". mmajunkie.com. September 27, 2010.
- "Episode no.1 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. September 16, 2010.
- "Pablo "The Scarecrow" Garza MMA at UP Center". hpr1.com. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Pablo Garza vs. Fredson Paixao in the works for The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale. This fight will be the first ever featherweight match of the UFC.". mmajunkie.com. November 4, 2010.
- "Pablo Garza vs. Yves Jabouin expected for UFC 129 in Toronto". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2011.
- "Dustin Poirier vs. Pablo Garza Announced as First Bout for Fox Fight Night Nov 12". MMAWeekly.com. August 18, 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "UFC on FOX 3 adds Johnny Bedford vs. Nick Denis, Dennis Bermudez vs. Pablo Garza". mmainterplay.com. February 17, 2012.
- "UFC on FOX 4 adds Grispi-Garza". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "UFC on FOX 4 gets Josh Grispi vs Rani Yahya". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- "Hominick vs. Garza set for UFC 154 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. August 2, 2012. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 9 adds Brandao-Garza". mmajunkie.com. February 12, 2013.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (May 7, 2013). "Pablo Garza and Antonio Carvalho confirm UFC releases". mmajunkie.com.