Orbaiz as an Athletic Bilbao player
|Full name||Pablo Orbaiz Lesaka|
|Date of birth||6 February 1979|
|Place of birth||Pamplona, Spain|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|2011–2012||→ Olympiacos (loan)||24||(1)|
|2013-||Valle de Egüés||-||(-)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Osasuna / Athletic
Born in Pamplona, Orbaiz began his career at hometown's CA Osasuna, exclusively playing in the second division with the team and contributing with 29 games and one goal in his final season as the Navarrese returned to La Liga after a six-year absence.
After that he moved to neighbours Athletic Bilbao, where he was a very important midfield element from the start. In the 2004–05 campaign he played 35 league matches and scored three goals, adding eight appearances in the UEFA Cup. However, he also suffered two very serious knee injuries, in 2002–03 and 2006–07 (only 14 games combined).
In the 2009–10 season, Orbaiz continued to be an automatic first-choice when healthy. However, during one month (February–March 2010), he was sent off twice for dangerous challenges – both of which resulted in two-match bans – at Villarreal CF (1–2 loss) and at home against Getafe CF (2–2, he also scored the opener in the latter game). For the following campaign he was promoted as team captain, after the departures of Joseba Etxeberria and Francisco Yeste.
In late August 2011, after another season of regular use by manager Joaquín Caparrós – 26 games, 1,675 minutes – as Athletic once again qualified to the Europa League, 32-year-old Orbaiz was loaned to Olympiacos F.C. in Greece, joining a host of compatriots at the Piraeus club, including manager Ernesto Valverde. Afterwards he was released by Bilbao, signing for one season with FC Rubin Kazan and reuniting with compatriot and former Olympiacos teammate Iván Marcano.
- Athletic Bilbao
- Spain U20
- Orbaiz: "Jugar la Champions es un sueño para mí" (Orbaiz: "To play in the Champions League is a dream for me"); Deia, 1 September 2011 (Spanish)
- Orbaiz out for season; Sky Sports, 9 January 2003
- Orbaiz blow for Bilbao; Sky Sports, 19 October 2006
- Drama as Villarreal defeat Bilbao; ESPN Soccernet, 13 February 2010
- Leon strikes late; ESPN Soccernet, 20 March 2010
- "Athletic Club has a new captain". The Offside. 25 July 2010. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- Pablo Orbaiz loaned to Olympiacos; Athletic's official website, 30 August 2011
- "Pablo Orbais in "Rubin"". Rubin's official website. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- Pablo Orbaiz – FIFA competition record