Pac 'n Roll
|Pac 'n Roll|
October 23, 2007 (NA)
December 6, 2007 (JP)
March 2008 (EU)
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
Pac 'n Roll (パックンロール Pakku n Rōru?) is a video game developed by Namco for the Nintendo DS. The game stars a 3D Pac-Man as the user rolls him throughout the playing field using the touchscreen. The classic arcade Pac-Man game is also unlockable. It was later released for the Wii on the Namco Museum Remix compilation game.
Once when Pac-Man was still young, he spent a summer at the home of the great Pac-Master for training to fight the ghosts in Pac-land. During Pac-Man's training, Pac-Master's family went to the power pellet Harvest Festival with Pac-Man. The Ghosts (possibly young too) decided to summon the legendary ghost, Golvis. He was said to be so strong that he was sent to space by the ghosts themselves. Castle Pac were celebrating the large crop of power pellets gathered, when the Harvest Festival was suddenly disturbed by a UFO from which Golvis comes. In an attempt to save the Pacs, Pac-Master chomped on a power pellet. But while the other ghosts turned blue, Golvis remained his normal colour with only the end of his tail blue. Golvis and his alive guitar sidekick (possibly named Jack) turned the pac-people into spheres (they are the same just without arms or legs), and kidnapps them all. With the help of Pac-Land's guardian fairy, Crystal, Pac-Man managed to escape before getting kidnapped. This explains why Golvis' guitar is always out of tune, because he was using it to smash Pac-Man into the ground.
Now with the help of Crystal, Pac-Man (who has been put on Golvis' sphere curse) must save Pac-Master's family from the evil Golvis and Ghosts, with their evil plot to turn Pac-Land into Ghost-Land.
- Pac-Man - Pac-Man is a young traveler and the main protagonist. He spends his time with Pac-Master and his family during summer vacation. One night, he was turned into a ball by Glovis' power.
- Crystal - Crystal is a fairy who saved Pac-Man before he got kidnapped. She is usually seen giving hints to Pac-Man throughout his adventure.
- Glovis - Glovis is a ghost created by the young ghosts and the game's main antagonist. He is seen as a punk-rocker and he usually carries a guitar around with him. Unlike the ghosts Pac-Man fights, he takes three Power Pellets to eat him. When defeated, he has a tendency of yelling; "I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME! JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE!"
- Jack - Jack is Glovis' guitar that is usually quiet. He assists Glovis in defeating Pac-Man.
- Pac-Master - Pac-Master is the father of the Pac-Master family and Pac-Man's mentor.
- Pac-Master's Wife - She is the wife of Pac-Master and is usually seen wearing a pink hat.
- Pac-Baby - She is Pac-Master's daughter.
The game received mixed to positive reviews.
Pac 'n Roll was re-released on to the Wii in 2007 as part of Namco Museum Remix, it is renamed Pac 'n Roll Remix and instead of the controls using the touch screen, it uses the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. The story is also removed from the game and the DS version's "Ghost House" world is replaced with a Wii-exclusive "Golvis's Hideout" world. This version doesn't include the original Pac-Man within it since this version is already part of an arcade compilation. In North America, this version was also re-released again in 2010 as part of Namco Museum Megamix, also for Wii.