Pachliopta polydorus, commonly known as the Red-bodied Swallowtail, is a butterfly from the family Papilionidae found in North-Eastern Queensland, Australia as well as Papua New Guinea and New Zealand.
The forewings are black, with white internervular shading. The hindwings have scalloped edges, are black and have no tails. The hindwing has a line of dark-red postdiscal spots. In the middle of wing there is a big white discal patch. The underside of both wings are the same as the above side, but the underside has brighter red spots. The body is black with a red abdomen. The sexes are alike.
The larva is mottled brown with the rows of red and yellow fleshy tubercles typical of Troidini . The larval foodplants are in the genus Aristolochia - Aristolochia chalmersii, Aristolochia indica, Aristolochia tagala, Aristolochia thozetii, Pararistolochia australopithecurus, Pararistolochia deltantha, Pararistolochia linearifolia, Pararistolochia peninsulensis. The pupa is white with brown marks. The dorsum is concave, and there is a row of flanges along each side. The pupal length is 3 cms.
Indonesia (Moluccas (not Morotai, but including Seram and Ambon),Tanimbar, Irian Jaya, Kai, Aru, Waigeu and Skouten Is),Papua New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago (including New Britain), Bougainville, Solomons (including San Cristobal and Ulawa I.), Trobriand Is, D'Entrecasteaux Is, Louisiade Archipelago and Australia (northern Queensland).
Generally common and not threatened as a species, though some subspecies may be threatened.
The following subspecies are recognised: (up to thirty-one subspecies are described)
- P. p. aignanus [Rothschild]
- P. p. asinius [Fruhstorfer]
- P. p. dampierensis [Hagen]
- P. p. godartianus [Lucas]
- P. p. humboldti [Rothschild]
- P. p. kajelanus [Fruhstorfer]
- P. p. lascarus [Fruhstorfer]
- P. p. leodamas [Wallace]
- P. p. manus [Talbot]
- P. p. meforanus [Rothschild]
- P. p. naissus [Fruhstorfer]
- P. p. novobritannicus [Rothschild]
- P. p. orinomus [Rothschild]
- P. p. polydaemon [Mathew]
- P. p. queenslandicus [Rothschild, 1895]
- P. p. septentrionalis [Rothschild]
- P. p. tenimberensis [Rothschild]
- P. p. thessalia [Swinhoe]
- P. p. utuanensis [Ribbe]
- P. p. varus [Fruhstorfer]
- http://en.butterflycorner.net/Pachliopta-polydorus.531.0.html Butterfly Corner
- Collins, N.M., Morris, M.G., IUCN, 1985 Threatened Swallowtail Butterflies of the World: the IUCN Red Data Book (1985) IUCN pdf
- Heidelberger, D., and J. B. Heppner. 1999. Pachliopta polydorus biology in Queensland, Australia (Lepidoptera: Papilionidae). Tropical Lepidoptera 10(1): 18. pdf (pars)