|This article relies on references to primary sources. (May 2009)|
|Location||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|No. of stores and services||102|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||1,390,000 ft²|
|No. of floors||3|
Pacific Centre is a shopping mall located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It is operated by Cadillac Fairview Corporation. Based on the number of stores, many of which are underground, it is the largest mall in Downtown Vancouver with over 100 stores and services. Anchor stores include Holt Renfrew, Sport Chek and Atmosphere.
The City of Vancouver approved an expansion of Pacific Centre, including retail premises that will extend to the street on both sides of West Georgia Street, and a link connecting the shopping centre to the new Vancouver City Centre rapid transit station on Granville Street. The link opened in the summer of 2009 in conjunction with the opening of the Canada Line.
In 2012, an incident at Pacific Centre Mall sparked an investigation by the Ministry of Justice and the Vancouver police. A security guard was shown on videotape striking a disabled man suspected of shoplifting, throwing him from his wheelchair on the floor and yelling profane language. The guard in question — Ali Rahnumah, 30, an employee of Genesis Security — was fired over the incident and criminally charged. He is suing Genesis Security for wrongful dismissal. The investigation itself ultimately concluded that the guard acted with unnecessary force and had used profanity contrary to the Security Services Regulation of that province.
- H&M (28,600 sq ft. over 2 levels)
- Holt Renfrew (137,000 sq ft. over 3 levels)
- Sears (600,000 sq ft. over 7 levels) - closed October 31, 2012 and to be replaced by Nordstrom in 2015 with a new facade
- Sport Chek/Atmosphere (31,500 sq ft. over 2 levels)
(square footage is approximate)
- List of largest shopping malls in Canada
- Hotel Vancouver (1916), which once sat on the site of Pacific Centre
- Wheelchair-bound man’s handling by mall guards investigated. UPI.com (2012-11-02). Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- B.C. Wheelchair Takedown Under Investigation. Huffingtonpost.ca. Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- Vancouver mall cop allegedly knocked wheelchair-bound man to ground. UPI.com (2013-03-29). Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- B.C. wheelchair takedown under investigation - British Columbia - CBC News. Cbc.ca (2012-11-01). Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- Crawford, Tiffany. (2013-01-18) Vancouver security guard used â€˜unnecessary forceâ€™ on man in wheelchair. Vancouversun.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- "Sears Canada closing three stores in Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver". Toronto: thestar.com. 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- Pacific Centre official site
- City of Vancouver Development Permit Board report on expansion proposal