Pacific Ocean Fire
|Pacific Ocean Fire|
Performing on the main stage of Summer Sundae 2007
|Labels||Smokeylung, Sorted, Azra|
The band formed in 2001 and comprised Jon Bennett (vocals, guitar), his brother Andy Bennett (drums), Ross Voce (guitar), and David Fellows (bass, trumpet). They cited among their influences Sebadoh, Dennis Wilson, Plush, Tindersticks, and Silver Jews. The band recorded two EP's which they gave away at concerts, leading to American label Smokeylung picking them up and releasing their self-titled second album in 2005, a North American tour following.
Their third album, From the Station to the Church We are Under the Same Stars, was released on Sorted Records, the title referring to the way it was recorded:
"We recorded half of the album in a room above Leicester train station. The other half was recorded and mixed at Dave’s home, he lived on a road with “church” in the street name . We spent so much time between those places late at night that became it".
After previously playing the Musician Stage of the Summer Sundae festival, they performed on the main stage in 2007, also performing regularly at Truck Festival and the dumduckerdum Music Festival, then going on to tour the UK with Josh T Pearson. The band's fourth album, Strangers and Deranged Patients was released in November 2007 on the American Azra label. It was followed by a US tour in 2008.
The band split in September 2009 after performing their farewell gig at Camden Dingwalls supporting Drugstore following an invitation to play from Isabel Monteiro. Their final album, Hibernation songs, written amidst and largely about very personal tragedies for songwriter Jon Bennett, namely the dissolution of his marriage and the death of his father was released on Azra Records in July 2010.
- Roadsigns EP (2003)
- Whiskey Fiction EP (2005)
- "Split EP" 10" EP (2005) Sorted (split with Don's Mobile Barbers)
- Tales of Love and Loss and Living (2003) Self released
- Pacific Ocean Fire (2005) Smokeylung records
- From The Station to the Church We Are Under The Same Stars (2006) Sorted records
- Strangers and Deranged Patients (2007) Azra records
- Hibernation songs (2010) Azra records
- Comes with a Smile Vol. 15 – Gloved Hands in a Squeeze (2005) Comes With a Smile, includes "My Drinking Days are Done"
- 50minutes (2006) Exercise 1, includes "Death on Yr Birthday"
"Pacific Ocean Fire are our unexpected treat sounding a bit like an English Bright Eyes circa Lifted " – Drowned in Sound
“ These eleven songs are a beautiful collection of wistful, poetic 2am music, the sort of stuff you probably have to be alone and in a reflective mood to appreciate properly. It's low-key and often lovelorn, and every song on the album stands up in its own right – there simply isn't any filler ” – Twisted Ear 4.5 / 5
“ Like Thin White Rope circa 'The Ruby Sea' transplanted to an obscure UK seaside town, this is one of those rare occasions where a record is so strong you’re pretty much spoiled for choice in terms of trying to single our favourites “ – Whisperin & Hollerin 9 /10
“ If the songs were visual, they’d be a couple waltzing alone under the spattered light of a nicotine-stained mirror ball. They all share a sort of ragged, sentimental glory “ – Americana UK 8/10
"Glorious, luminous, ragged , backporch songs as if they’d been raised under western skies with little more than coyote howls for company “ – The Sun 4.5 / 5
"A beautiful record best kept for moonlit summer drives " – Maverick 4 / 5
- Dowling, Jordan (2007) "Pacific Ocean Fire, Josh T Pearson at Leicester Firebug, Fri 14 Sep" (review), Drowned in Sound
- Graham, Steve "Pacific Ocean Fire – From The Station To Church We Are Under The Same Stars" (review), Hybrid Magazine
- Pirie, Karen "Sinister and beautiful country noir" (live review), BBC Leicester
- Edwards, Phil (2006) "Pacific Ocean Fire & Don's Mobile Barbers "10" Spilt EP"" (review), Americana UK
- Kingsworth, Beck (2006) "Pacific Ocean Fire – From The Station to the Church We Are Under The Same Stars" (review), Twisted Ear
- Cracknell, Robin (2006) "Pacific Ocean Fire – From The Station to the Church We Are Under The Same Stars" (review), Americana UK
- Peacock, Tim (2006) "Pacific Ocean Fire – From The Station to the Church We Are Under The Same Stars" (review), whisperinandhollerin.com
- Searle, Jeremy (2005) "Pacific Ocean Fire – Pacific Ocean Fire" (review), Americana UK
- Searle, Jeremy (2005) "Pacific Ocean Fire – Whiskey Fiction" (review), Americana UK
- Jarvis, Toby (2004) "Pacific Ocean Fire: Roadsigns" (review), Drowned in Sound