Pacific Southwest Railway Museum
|Tax ID No.||95-2374478 (CA 501(c)(3))|
|Founded||18 October 1959|
|Founder(s)||Eric Sanders, et al.|
|Origins||San Diego County Rail Museum|
|Area served||San Diego County|
|Focus(es)||Railroad museum, historic preservation|
|Formerly called||San Diego Railroad Museum|
The Pacific Southwest Railway Museum is a gathering of two separate railroad museums owned by the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum Association. The primary museum is located in Campo, on the San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railway line. The secondary museum is located in La Mesa.
The museum operates the all-volunteer "Golden State", a train excursion out of Campo from the restored 1916 Campo Depot. These "Golden State" trains are powered by vintage diesel-electric locomotives. The museum also has several historic railroad cars and locomotives on display, including five steam locomotives, fifteen diesel locomotives and many other pieces of rolling stock. A large display building houses part of the railroad equipment collection which allow visitors to view or walk through the equipment.
The museum manages the original La Mesa depot in downtown La Mesa, next to the San Diego Trolley's La Mesa Boulevard stop on the Orange Line. It is the oldest structure in town, as well as the sole surviving San Diego and Cuyamaca Railway Station. Next to the depot is a display train consisting of steam locomotive Mojave Northern Railroad #3, a Pacific Fruit Express reefer car, and a Southern Pacific Railroad caboose.
- Part of the There Goes a... episode "There Goes a Train" features the railroad museum in Campo. The video was made in 1994 and the museum was closed for the week of shooting. In the video, the museum's ALCO MRS-1 locomotive was pulling a 3-car Golden State excursion train heading east.
- Scenes re-used from There goes a Train were also used in the railroad museum in Campo and some scenes were filmed for Train Songs. It released in 1995, a year after There goes a Train. Other parts of Train Songs were also filmed at the railroad museum as well.
- Irish girl group, B*Witched filmed the music video of their hit single "Jesse Hold On" in the station in 1999.
- "Mission Statement and Purpose". Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Report of San Diego County Rail Museum Activity" 1. Pacific Southwest Railway Museum, REPORT Collection. 5 January 1960. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Pacific Southwest Railway Museum". Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- Houk, Randy. "SDRM Equipment Roster or PSRM Equipment Roster". Pacific Southwest Railway Museum. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "SDRM filmography or PSRM filmography". Retrieved 2012-11-29.