Pacifica High School (Garden Grove, California)
|Pacifica High School|
|6851 Lampson Avenue
Garden Grove, California, 92845
|School district||Garden Grove Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Black, Blue and White
Pacifica High School is a high school in Garden Grove, California and is a member of the Garden Grove Unified School District. Pacifica High School first opened its doors in 1965, and since then Pacifica has enrolled more than two thousand students each year. One of Pacifica's most valuable landmarks on campus is the Navy Anchor that sits in the quad, which was painted blue(now is Black-2011)The anchor was a donation which was made by the U.S Navy.
Pacifica's sports teams are called the Mariners, and compete in Empire League of the California Interscholastic Federation's Southern Section. Prior to 2006, they competed in the Garden Grove League with the other schools in the district.
Sports offered are as follows:
- Football (boys)
- Cross Country (girls)
- Tennis (girls & boys)
- Volleyball (girls & boys)
- Waterpolo (girls & boys)
- Basketball (girls & boys)
- Soccer (girls & boys)
- Wrestling (boys)
- Baseball (boys)
- Softball (girls)
- Swim (Coed)
- Track (Coed)
The Pacifica High School Orchestra in 2004-2005 received a unanimous superior at the SCSBOA Regional Festivals, held at Norwalk California. In that same year, the high school orchestra also received a superior at GGUSD (Garden Grove Unified School District) Orchestra.
Marching Band, Drumline and Cheer
Pacifica High School Marching Band has a long history of celebrated performances including the Rose Parade in 1977. The band competes in the WBA (Western Band Association) circuit as a AA classification.
In 2005-2009 and in 2003, The Pacifica Marching Band's Drumline took the SCPA (Southern California Percussion Alliance) gold medal, and in 2006-2009, took the WGI (Winter Guard International) World Championship gold medal in the PSO (Percussion Scholastic Open) division, along with numerous first place finishes throughout Southern California. Pacifica also finished with an SCPA Bronze medal in 2004 and a WGI silver medal in 2005. The Pacifica drumline is only the second ensemble to ever capture four consecutive WGI World Championship gold medals. The first was Franklin Central who captured 5 consecutive gold medals in PSCW (Percussion Scholastic Concert World) from 1998 to 2002 WGI Hall of Champions.
- Danny Barber, former pro soccer player for the MetroStars.
- Pam Bileck, team gymnastics silver medal 1984 U.S. Olympic Gymnastic team.
- Jeff Carlson, former quarterback for the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Jon Dorenbos, active duty long snapper for the Philadelphia Eagles and professional magician.
- Michelle Dussere, team gymnastics silver medal 1984 U.S. Olympic Gymnastic team.
- Larry Fortensky, last husband of Elizabeth Taylor (dropped out in 10th grade)
- Amanda Freed, member of the gold medal-winning 2004 U.S. Olympic Softball team.
- Dexter Holland, singer and guitarist for the band, The Offspring.
- Norm Johnson, former NFL kicker for the Seattle Seahawks.
- Rick Kosick, American photographer.
- Greg Kriesel, bassist for The Offspring.
- Terry Kubicka, male Olympic ice skater of the 1976 team
- Scott Norton, PBA Tour bowling champion.
- David J. Peterson, language creator (Game of Thrones, Defiance).
- Tommy Sandt, former professional MLB player for the Oakland Athletics
- Jeffree Star, model, fashion designer, make-up artist, DJ, and singer-songwriter.
- Kevin Wasserman, lead guitarist of The Offspring.
- "Pacifica High School (Garden Grove, CA)". Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Pacifica High". Los Angeles Times. June 3, 1998.
- 1977 Pacifica High School yearbook
- [dead link]
- 1985 Pacifica High School yearbook.
- NFL.com Bio
- She Alone Carries On For U.s. - Chicago Tribune
- Here Comes the Groom... : People.com
- "Famous People from Pacifica". Pacifica School History. Garden Grove Unified School District.[dead link]
- 1978 Pacifica High School yearbook
- 1971 Pacifica High School yearbook WGG Library