Padatik (Indian theatre group)
6/7A, Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Road,Kolkata 700 017
Padatik Kolkata is one of the premier institutions in the field of the performing arts in India, especially in Theatre and Dance. It was founded in 1972 by the eminent Theatre Personality, Late Shyamanand Jalan. He was a recipient of the Sangeet Natak Akademi (SNA) Award for Direction in 1972. He was also the vice chairman of SNA from 1999-2004.
Padatik’s productions, both in theatre and dance have toured extensively all over the globe. Padatik had also organized the ‘International Seminar on Indian Dance Traditions and Modern Theatre’ in collaboration with International Theatre Institute (UNESCO) in 1983, and the ‘International Festival & Seminar on Theatre, Dance and Martial Arts’ in 1987.
Padatik theatre group was formed by Shyamanand Jalan in 1972. Shyamanand Jalan’s productions over the last 40 years include Evam Indrajit, Sakharam Binder, Hazar Chaurasi Ki Maa, Shakuntala, Panchhi Aise Aate Hain, Uddhwastha Dharamshala, Janata Ka Shatru, Bibiyon ka Madarsa, Adhey Adhurey, Raja Lear, Lahron Ke Rajhans & Madhavi to name just a few.
Padatik Theatre group’s current resident directors are:
Vinay Sharma, whose major productions include Ek Anarchist ki Ittefquia Maut, Godot Ka Intezaar Karte Hue, Mr Biederman aur Aag Laganewale, Antim Din, John Gabriel Borkman, Weekend, ho sakta hai do aadmi do kursiyan (also written by him) and the recently directed Atmakatha to name a few.
Kunal Padhy, whose notable productions include Gali Chahat Wali, Yeh Zindagi Aakhir Kiski, Wada Chirebandi, Thaneer Thaneer and Late Lateef
Janardan Ghosh who has recently directed Hayavadana, Ek Je Chilo Brikkho, Beyond Freud and Khela
Eminent Guest theatre directors invited over the years have included Satyadev Dubey (Mumbai), Rajinder Nath (Delhi), Fritz Bennewitz (Germany), Ranjit Kapoor (Mumbai), Anmol Vellani (Delhi), Vincenzo Cozzi (Italy), Rodney Marriott (USA) and very recently Wlodzimierz Staniewski (Gardzienice Centre for Theatre Practices, Poland).
Shyamanand Jalan National Youth Theatre Award
In 2011, Padatik theatre group announced the commemorative Shyamanand Jalan National Youth Theatre Award (annual) for original scripts from Indian playwrights between 18 to 25 years of age.
- 1972 : Gidhade
- 1973 : Evam Indrajit (Revival), Guinea Pig, Sakharam Binder
- 1974 : Hazar Chaurasi Ki Maa
- 1977 : Good Woman of Setzuan
- 1979 : Bichhu, Surya ki Antim Kiran Se Pehli Kiran Tak
- 1980 : Kauwa Chala Hans Ki Chaal, Aur Tota Bola, Shakuntala
- 1981 : Panchi Aise Aate Hain
- 1982 : Udhwastha Dharmshala, Khela Polampur, Bibion ka Madarsa
- 1983 : Adhey Adhurey
- 1985 : Janta ka Shatru, Mukhia Manoharlal
- 1986 : Pratibimb
- 1987 : Kanyadaan, Kshudit Pashan, Salim Sherwani ki Shaadi
- 1988 : Aur Raja Mar Gaya, Raja Lear
- 1989 : The Elephant Man
- 1990 : Baarishwala
- 1991 : Sakharam Binder, Ek Anarchist ki Ittefaqia Maut, Gadhon ka Mela, Dybbuk
- 1992 : Shehzadi Turandot, Andhar Yatra
- 1993 : Godot ka Intezaar Karte Huye
- 1994 : Jo Dil Chahe, Kanjoos ka Pyar
- 1995 : Mr. Biedermann Aur Aag Laganewala, Ramkatha Ramkahani
- 1996 : Antim Din
- 1997 : Antigone, E-Ki-Khel, Sandhan, Natun Brishtite, Samahata, Gali Chahat Wali
- 1998 : Janch Partal, An Actor & A Work in Space
- 1999 : Weekend, John Gabriel Borkman, Yeh Zindagi Aakhir Kiski
- 2000 : 400 Karod Bhulakkar, Khamosh Adalat Jaari Hai!
- 2001 : Chhoo Mantar
- 2002 : Midsummer Night's Dream
- 2003 : Wada Chirebandi
- 2004 : Hidden Fires
- 2005 : Thaneer Thaneer, Ho Sakta Hai Do Aadmi Do Kursiyan, Ballabhpur ki Roopkatha
- 2006 : Madhavi
- 2007 : Late Lateef
- 2008 : Lahron ke Rajhans
- 2009 : Mukhia Manoharlal (Revival), Bikhre Bimb
- 2010 : Hayavadana
- 2011 : Beyond Freud, Ek Je Chhilo Briksha
- 2012 : Atmakatha, The Master Builder
- 2013 : Khela
Padatik Performance Spaces
The late Shyamanand Jalan was one of the first established Indian Theatre Directors to move away from the proscenium theatre and explore studio theatre performances at Padatik. The 1st having opened in 1982, today Padatik houses 3 different intimate performance spaces, fully equipped and functional; which not just the Padatik group but other theatre groups from within and outside the city avail of. It also has its own small sound recording studio.
- "Shyamanand Jalan National Youth Theatre Award...". Mumbai Theatre Guide. Retrieved 21 December 2012.