|Full name||Patrick Richard McCarthy|
|Date of birth||31 May 1983|
|Place of birth||Dublin, Ireland|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|Current club||Crystal Palace|
|2002–2003||→ Boston United (loan)||12||(0)|
|2003||→ Notts County (loan)||6||(0)|
|1999–2000||Republic of Ireland U17||9||(0)|
|Republic of Ireland U21||7||(1)|
|2006||Republic of Ireland B||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
McCarthy joined Leicester City in March 2005 for a fee of £100,000 from Manchester City, signing a three-year contract. He had never played for Manchester City's first team but had enjoyed loan spells at Boston United and Notts County during 2002 and 2003. Boston had made a bid to sign McCarthy on a permanent basis in February 2003.
McCarthy became a favourite with the Leicester fans, due to his no-nonsense style of play, and in July 2006 was named club captain for the 2006–07 season. His season was cut short when he dislocated his shoulder in a training accident in February 2007. Nonetheless, McCarthy expressed his wish to leave Leicester before the start of next season, despite being offered a new contract.
He moved to Charlton Athletic for a fee of £650,000 in June 2007. He spent only a year at The Valley, moving across south-east London to sign for Crystal Palace in the summer of 2008, in a deal that saw Mark Hudson travel in the opposite direction. Since joining the Eagles, McCarthy has proved himself to be a strong and reliable central defender. He has been troubled by a series of shoulder injuries which has restricted him from playing in much of the 2008/2009 and the 2009/2010 season, but this did not stop him being named Palace captain in the run-up to the 2010/11 season.
McCarthy missed the entirety of the 2012/2013 season with a groin injury.
- Crystal Palace
Club career statistics
- (correct as of 28 April 2012)
|2002–03||Boston (loan)||Third Division||12||0||0||0||-||-||12||0|
|Notts County (loan)||Second Division||6||0||-||-||-||-||6||0|
- "Foxes land City stopper". Sky Sports. 3 March 2005. Retrieved 15 April 2009.
- "Boston bid for McCarthy". BBC Sport. 24 February 2003. Archived from the original on 23 October 2009. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "McCarthy shoulder blow for Foxes". BBC Sport. 15 February 2007. Archived from the original on 19 February 2007. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Allen regrets McCarthy departure". BBC Sport. 7 June 2007. Archived from the original on 12 September 2007. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Palace sign McCarthy from Addicks". BBC Sport. 12 June 2008. Archived from the original on 28 September 2009. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Palace sign McCarthy from Addicks". BBC Sport. 12 June 2008. Retrieved 12 June 2008.
- Includes FA Cup, League Cup and FA Community Shield
- Paddy McCarthy player profile at cpfc.co.uk
- Paddy McCarthy player profile at cafc.co.uk
- Paddy McCarthy player profile at lcfc.com
- Paddy McCarthy career stats at Soccerbase
|Leicester City F.C. Captain
|Crystal Palace F.C. Captain
|Awards and achievements|
|Crystal Palace F.C. Goal of the Season
against Derby County (A)
6 December 2008