|Police and Crime Commissioner
for Nottinghamshire Police
15 November 2012
|Preceded by||Office Created|
|Member of Parliament
9 April 1992 – 6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Andrew Stewart|
|Succeeded by||Mark Spencer|
24 October 1949 |
Halifax, West Yorkshire
|Alma mater||University of Nottingham|
Tipping was born in Halifax. He went to Hipperholme Grammar School (when a state school) in Hipperholme. At the University of Nottingham, he gained a BA in Philosophy in 1972 and an MA in Social Sciences in 1978. He was a social work in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire from 1972-1979. From 1979-1983, he was a Project leader for the (C of E) Children's Society in Nottingham. From 1981 to 1993 he was a Nottinghamshire County Councillor.
Tipping contested Rushcliffe in 1987. He took Sherwood from the Conservatives in 1992.
He has worked in a number of junior government positions starting out as PPS to Jack Straw while he was home secretary (1997-9). He then moved on to being a Junior minister at the Privy Council office (1999–2001), and then Chairman of the sub-committee on environment, food and rural affairs (2001-5). After a short period on the back benches, he returned to being PPS for Jack Straw.
Areas of his political activity included energy and carbon emissions, local planning issues, public sector pensions, rights of access for walkers and compensation for ex-miners with health problems.
He was Deputy Leader of the House of Commons from 1999 to 2001 and again in 2007.
Tipping is Nottingham's first Police and Crime Commissioner, having stood in the inaugural Nottingham PCC election in 2012. Tipping announced plans to pay a "pension" to cover medical bills etc. for retired police dogs, a move which dog handlers welcomed.
- Mulholland, Hélène (2009-10-23). "Labour backbencher Paddy Tipping stands down". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- Claire Carter (4 November 2013). "Police dogs will be given pensions to cover medical costs and expenses under new plans to treat dogs like police officers". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Official Website for Paddy's Police Commissioner Campaign
- Official Website on ePolitix
- Guardian Unlimited Politics — Ask Aristotle: Paddy Tipping MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com — Paddy Tipping MP
- Paddy Tipping is my MP — Blog tracking the activities of Paddy Tipping, the MP for Sherwood.
- BBC Politics Profile
- Expenses claims repaid