|Elevation||1,020 m (3,350 ft)|
|Population (2011 Estimate.)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Pader, is a town in Pader District, Northern Uganda. The town is administered by Pader Town Council, an Urban Local Government within Pader District Administration. It is the largest metropolitan area in Pader District and the district headquarters are located there. The district was named after the town.
Pader is bordered by Pajule to the north, Parabong to the northeast, Lira Palwo to the east, Puranga to the south, and Awere to the west. The town is located approximately 56 kilometres (35 mi), by road, southeast of Kitgum, the nearest large town. This location lies approximately 133 kilometres (83 mi), by road, northeast of Gulu, the largest city in Northern Uganda. The coordinates of the town are:2°52'52.0"N, 33°05'11.0"E (Latitude:2.881111; Longitude:33.086389).
The town of Pader sprang up in 2000, the same year that Pader District was formed. Soon, the town became a center of foreign relief agencies attempting to assist the civilian population affected by the War in Northern Uganda. While over 2 million USD has been poured into this effort, there is little to show for it because of corruption, poor planning, poor implementation, poor follow up, poor management, lack of accountability and a hands-off approach by many of the donor agencies.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of the town at about 8,700. The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the town's population at 12,800 in 2010. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Pader at 13,500.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within or near the town of Pader:
- The headquarters of Pader District Administration
- The offices of Pader Town Council
- The Headquarters of the 5th Division of the Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF)
- A branch of DFCU Bank
- Kalongo Hospital - A 200 Community Hospital administered by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Gulu. Hospital located 25 kilometres (16 mi), by road, northeast of town.
- Olwor Nguur Primary School
- Pader Girls Academy
- Bishop Flynn Catholic Secondary School
- Paipir Primary School
- Pader Kilak Primary School
- Pader Central Market
- "Distance Between Pader And Kitgum With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Gulu And Pader With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Pader At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Ann Mugisa, and Raymond Baguma (2 November 2012). "OPM Fraud: More Donors Cut Aid". New Vision. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Butagira, Tabu (9 January 2013). "Government Raids Treasury to Refund Stolen Aid". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Pader In 2002, 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Distance Between Pader And Kalongo With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 4 June 2014.