Padre Burgos, Southern Leyte
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
Map of Southern Leyte with Padre Burgos highlighted
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|Congr. district||Lone district of S. Leyte|
|• Mayor||Ricardo E. Borces (Liberal)|
|• Vice Mayor||Hermenegildo C. Culpa|
|• Total||25.65 km2 (9.90 sq mi)|
|• Density||410/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||5th class;|
Padre Burgos is named after the priest Padre Jose Burgos of the Gomburza priest martyrs. The town being surrounded by Sogod Bay in the East, Padre Burgos was once called "Tamulayag", a vernacular slang which means "Let's go fishing". Thus, the town's main livelihood is fishing.
The town is famous for its white sand beaches like the Tangkaan Beach, from where you can see the island of Limasawa; the Likay-Likay Beach, where you can go fishing and snorkeling; the Bukana which is like a small swam of water and serve as a home of many fishes in Buenavista, the floating Balsa of Bas. And the beaches in Brgy. Lungsodaan. Padre Burgos is also famous to diving enthusiasts, the underwater beauty boasts of many colorful clusters of corals. With the Local Government's cooperation, Coral Cay, a foreign non-profit organization established its offices in Brgy. Tangkaan whose main purpose is to provide help among local people to maintain fish sanctuaries, awareness programs on ocean-life preservation, and clean-up activities on the shorelines of Padre Burgos.
Padre Burgos is also known for its "budbod" (suman), a sticky rice which is very sweet.
- San Juan
- Santa Sofia
- Santo Rosario
|Population census of Padre Burgos|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Majority of the population is Philippine Independent church (IFI), while others belong to Roman Catholic, Hosanna Assembly of God, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons), Iglesia ni Cristo, UCCP, among others.
List of Churches:
- Roman Catholic Church, Poblacion. Holy Mass everyday. Monday & Friday 5:30pm; Tuesday & Thursday 5:30am. Sunday 5:30 am.
- Iglesia Filipina Independiente, Brgy. Sta. Sofia
- Hosanna Chapel Philippines (AG), Brgy. Poblacion
- United Church of Christ in the Philippines, Brgy. Poblacion
- Philippine Independent Church, Brgy. Poblacion
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons), Brgy. Cantutang
- Iglesia ni Cristo, Brgy. Cantutang
Places of interest
- Peter's Dive Resort
- Tangkaan Beach
- Michael's Resort and Dive
- Sogod Bay Scuba Resort
- Padre Burgos Castle Resort
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Province: Southern Leyte". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Macrohon||Sogod Bay / San Francisco|