Map of Maguindanao showing the location of Pagalungan
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|Founded||August 18, 1947|
|Capital of then-undivided Cotabato Province||1967 to 1973|
|• Mayor||Norodin M. Matalam|
|• Total||898.76 km2 (347.01 sq mi)|
|• Density||35/km2 (92/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Population census of Pagalungan, Maguindanao|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
“Pagalungan” is a Maguindanao word for “mirror”. During the Spanish time, Pagalungan was a small sitio. There was a small creek in it running towards a small pond called "Migkawa" by the natives of the place. The pond was deep and clear of which the women of the place used it as mirror. Today, the place and the entire municipality are known by the name of “Pagalungan”.
Pagalungan was part of Midsayap municipality before it became a regular municipality on August 18, 1947 by virtue of Executive Order No. 41 issued during the administration of the late President Manuel A. Roxas. The first appointed and elected mayor was the late Gorgonio P. Initan, a former public school teacher. The succeeding mayors were Datu Tumindig Sultan, 1950-1953; Hadji Abubacar Pendatun, 1954-1962; Bai Tonina P. Matalam Adil, 1963-1971, Datu Malunsing Matalam, 1972-1975; Datu Balumol P. Mama, 1975-1977; Bai Chito Matalam, 1973-1986, Datu Norodin M. Matalam, 1986-1988, Datu Udtog P. Matalam, Jr., 1988- December 16, 1995; and Datu Macabangen K. Montawal.
The municipality of Pagagawan was carved out from Pagalungan town under Muslim Mindanao Autonomy Act No. 95 on July 18, 2000.
Pagalungan is politically subdivided into 12 barangays.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System