Pagewood, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Club house at Bonnie Doon Golf Course, Banks Avenue
|Population||3,643 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,041/km2 (2,700/sq mi)|
|Area||3.5 km2 (1.4 sq mi)|
|Location||8 km (5 mi) south of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Botany Bay|
|Federal Division(s)||Kingsford Smith|
Pagewood has a mixture of residential and industrial areas.
Pagewood was originally planned as a garden suburb, similar to neighbouring Daceyville. However, it was developed to provide housing after World War I when there was a shortage of land. The new suburb began developing in 1919 as an estate called Monash Gardens. The suburb was named Pagewood in 1929 to honour Alderman F.J. Page of Botany Council.
National Studios was opened in 1935 and for nearly thirty years, Australian and British cinema was produced here.
In 1960, the council considered changing the suburb name to East Botany. Residents battled to retain the name, particularly since Botany was becoming an industrial area, while Pagewood retained its identity as a mainly residential area.
Westfield Eastgardens shopping centre in Wentworth Avenue was built in the northern part of the suburb on the old Pagewood Bus Depot and part of the former site of the General Motors Holden car manufacturing plant (and totally on the old National Film Studios) and opened in 1987. The remainder of the site was sold to W.D. & H.O. Wills and Matthew Norman. Eastgardens, which covers the area around the shopping centre, was officially declared a separate suburb in 1999.
- Pagewood Public School is located in Page Street
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Pagewood (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Sippel, Joanne; City of Botany Bay (N.S.W.). Council; Botany Historical Trust; Pagewood Film Studio (N.S.W.) (1996), Freeze Frame : the dramatic story of Pagewood Film Studio, City of Botany Bay Council [and] Botany Historical Trust, ISBN 978-0-9500936-3-5
- General Motors-Holden's Limited (Pagewood, N.S.W.) (1940), General Motors - Holden's Ltd., Australia, Pagewood Plant - Sydney : 1939-1940, GMH, retrieved 4 November 2012
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, p.197 ISBN 0-207-14495-8
- Secret Deals Claim On Pagewood Site, The Sydney Morning Herald, 15 September 1982
- Dictionary of Sydney
- http://www.pagewood-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/ Pagewood Public School
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pagewood, New South Wales.|