Agios Georgios Bay
|Administrative region||Ionian Islands|
|Municipal unit||Agios Georgios|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
The village Pagoi had 394 inhabitants at the 2001 census.
Agios Georgios Pagon
The village Agios Georgios Pagon had 74 inhabitants at the 2001 census. It was developed as a tourist resort in the third quarter of the 20th century. It has a few old buildings, including the Saint George church and the Tsimpougis house. Ruins of an older settlement that was destroyed by a landslide are situated on the beach.
The village Prinylas had 71 inhabitants at the 2001 census. The village is built in a panoramic setting above Agios Georgios Bay. It was the seat of the Byzantine Decarch, as mentioned in 1200. A common last name is Gialopsos. It is a settlement with characteristic streets, houses and archives from the 17th century. Prinyla is a well preserved village, and has a church, Agios Nikolaos, that was constructed in the 14th century.
The village Vatonies had 75 inhabitants at the 2001 census. Vatonies has a church Agion Apostolon and a tavern.
Use in James Bond film
The area was used as a filming location in the 1981 James Bond film For Your Eyes Only, where Bond (played by Roger Moore) and Melina Havelock (Carole Bouquet) fled from villains in their yellow Citroen 2CV.
Common last names of the area are:
- Payatakis (probably from Crete 17th century
- Romeo (probably from ancient Italy or Crete 17th century)
- Ruva (probably from ancient Italy or Crete 17th century)
- Sinadinos (probably from Sinada in minor Asia 13th century)
- De Facto Population of Greece Population and Housing Census of March 18th, 2001 (PDF 39&NBSP;MB). National Statistical Service of Greece. 2003.