Paid (1930 film)
|Directed by||Sam Wood|
|Produced by||Sam Wood|
Adaptation & Dialogue:
|Music by||Yellen & Ager|
|Editing by||Hugh Wynn|
|Release dates||December 30, 1930|
|Running time||86 minutes|
Paid is a 1930 American drama film starring Joan Crawford, Robert Armstrong, and Kent Douglass in a story about a wrongly accused ex-convict who seeks revenge on those who sent her to prison using a scam called the "Heart Balm Racket". The film was adapted by Lucien Hubbard and Charles MacArthur from the play, Within the Law by Bayard Veiller (1912) and was the fourth film version of the play. The film was directed and produced by Sam Wood.
Plot and cast
Unjustly sent to prison, Mary Turner (Joan Crawford) plots revenge upon those who sent her there - district attorney Demarest (Hale Hamilton) and Edward Gilder (Purnell Pratt). Once released she meets Joe Garson (Armstrong), an experienced crook, and together they concoct a breach of promise scam to be perpetrated upon the well-heeled elderly. In an ambitious step, Mary weds her enemy's son Bob Gilder (Douglass Montgomery). At the end, she has come to terms with her past and seeks peace of mind rather than revenge. A subplot involves a police-thwarted heist of a painting and the capture of Mary's comrade-in-crime Joe Garson (Robert Armstrong). Cast includes Marie Prevost and Polly Moran as Mary's fellow prison inmates.
- Joan Crawford as Mary Turner
- Robert Armstrong as Joe Garson
- Marie Prevost as Agnes Lynch
- Douglass Montgomery as Bob Gilder
- John Miljan as Inspector Burke
- Purnell Pratt as Edward Gilder
- Hale Hamilton as District Attorney Demarest
- Robert Emmett O'Connor as Detective Sergeant Cassidy
- Tyrell Davis as Eddie Griggs
- William Bakewell as B.M. Carney
- George Cooper as Red
- Gwen Lee as Bertha
- Variety film review; January 7, 1931, page22.
- Harrison's Reports film review; January 10, 1931, page 7
- Quirk, Lawrence J.. The Films of Joan Crawford. The Citadel Press, 1968.
- Paid at the Internet Movie Database
- Paid (1930 film) at allmovie
- Paid (1930 film) at the TCM Movie Database