Paige St. John
|Paige St. John|
Paige St. John in 2012
|Education||Southern Illinois University Edwardsville|
|Occupation||Investigative reporter for the Los Angeles Times|
|Notable credit(s)||2011 Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting|
Paige St. John is an American journalist for the Los Angeles Times. Before joining the Times, St. John was at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, where she earned the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting. The Pulitzer was the Herald Tribune's first, "for her examination of weaknesses in the murky property-insurance system vital to Florida homeowners, providing handy data to assess insurer reliability and stirring regulatory action."
She joined the LA Times Sacramento bureau in July, 2012. She began her career at The Detroit News. Later, she worked for the Associated Press in Traverse City, Michigan and Charleston, West Virginia. St. John went to Florida to become Gannett's state house bureau chief, and then joined the Herald-Tribune in 2008.
The Pulitzer Prize was awarded to St. John for her series "Florida's Insurance Nightmare," which discussed the Florida property insurance industry. St. John spent two years investigating the state's insurance system, and her series had already been recognized with the Scripps Howard Award, National Headliner Award, and Investigative Reporters and Editors Award. The 2011 Pulitzer jury said St. John, who was involved in the development of Internet applications for insurance analysis, offered "handy data to assess insurer reliability" and prompted legislative reforms. St. John was chosen by the 2011 Pulitzer jury over three other finalists: Walt Bogdanich, Sam Roe, and Jared S. Hopkins.
- Janensch, Paul (April 20, 2011). "Great newspaper state of Florida snags another Pulitzer for exposing insurance racket". TCPalm (The E.W. Scripps Co.). Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- Hawley, Chris (April 19, 2011). "SIUE graduate wins Pulitzer for investigative reporting". Belleville News-Democrat (The McClatchy Company). Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- Associated Press (April 20, 2011). "Florida Journalist Wins Pulitzer for Property Insurance Report". Insurance Journal (Wells Publishing, Inc.). Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- Associated Press (April 18, 2011). "Details on the 2011 Pulitzer Prize winners". The Wall Street Journal (Dow Jones & Company, Inc.). Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- Armario, Christine (April 18, 2011). "Sarasota Herald-Tribune wins Pulitzer prize". Miami Herald (Miami Herald Media Co.). Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- NPR Staff (April 18, 2011). "Winners, Finalists For The 2011 Pulitzer Prizes". National Public Radio (NPR). Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- Pollick, Michael (April 18, 2011). "Herald-Tribune wins Pulitzer Prize". Sarasota Herald-Tribune (HeraldTribune.com). Retrieved April 20, 2011.