Painkiller (Judas Priest song)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2007)|
|Single by Judas Priest|
|Genre||Heavy metal, speed metal|
|Judas Priest singles chronology|
The first guitar solo in the song is played by Glenn Tipton, and the second by KK Downing. The song is noted for Rob Halford's high pitched screams throughout the song as well as Scott Travis' complex drumming. Tipton has also stated that Painkiller solo is his favourite to play.
The Brazilian power metal band Angra has covered the song too on the album Freedom Call, released in 1996. This version also appeared on the Judas Priest tribute album Legends Of Metal - A Tribute To Judas Priest Volume II.
More recently, the British thrash/power metal band Biomechanical did a cover of the song and was included in the Limited Edition of The Empires of the Worlds, featuring Chris Tsangarides, who produced the Painkiller album. In 2010, a Taiwanese metal band CHTHONIC has also done a cover of the song mixed with oriental elements and digitally released it.
In May 2011, 7 students from Aaron O'Keefe's music academy near Cincinnati, Ohio, recorded a cover version of "Painkiller" at Reba McEntire's Starstruck Studios in Nashville, Tennessee. The students ranged in age from 11 to 17. A video of the recording was posted on YouTube.
In other media
- In Rock Band 2 and Rock Band Unplugged, Painkiller appears as the final song to be unlocked and it is to be the hardest overall track for both games due to being the first song in the Rock Band series to have a full "Impossible" difficulty rating for all band members. In addition, the song was also featured in the video games Madden NFL 10, the final boss battle in Brütal Legend, and Guitar Hero: Van Halen, where it omits the drum intro due to licensing reasons.
- It is also a DLC track in the videogame Rocksmith along with two other Judas Priest songs (Living After Midnight and Breaking the Law).
- Judas Priest
- Rob Halford - lead vocals
- K. K. Downing - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Glenn Tipton - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Ian Hill - bass, backing vocals
- Scott Travis - drums