Painted Desert Inn
Painted Desert Inn
Painted Desert Inn, 2006
|Location||Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona|
|Architect||Lyle E. Bennett; Mary Colter|
|Architectural style||Pueblo Revival|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
|NRHP Reference #||87001421|
|Added to NRHP||May 28, 1987|
|Designated NHL||May 28, 1987|
Painted Desert Inn is a lodge in Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona. It was built in 1937–1940, on the site of an earlier lodge, the Stone Tree House. It was designed in 1937 by National Park Service architect Lyle E. Bennett and others from the Park Service Branch of Plans and Design. Construction was carried out by Civilian Conservation Corps labor. After updates by Mary Jane Colter, it was operated by the Fred Harvey Company from 1947 to 1963, when it closed. Demolition was proposed in the mid-1970s, but after public protests the building was reopened for limited use in 1976. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987. The old Inn buildings were extensively rehabilitated, and reopened as a museum and bookstore in 2006.
Hopi artist Fred Kabotie was engaged by Colter to paint the Inn's murals in 1947–48. Colter knew Kabotie from a previous collaboration at the Hopi House at the Grand Canyon. Kabotie's work depicts aspects of Hopi life, including a journey through the Painted Desert to collect salt.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Painted Desert Inn". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2007-09-27.
- Stone Tree House
- ""Architecture in the Parks: A National Historic Landmark Theme Study: Painted Desert Inn", by Laura Soullière Harrison". National Historic Landmark Theme Study. National Park Service. Retrieved 2007-09-27.
- "Painted Desert Inn". List of Classified Structures. National Park Service. 2008-11-26.
- Petrified Forest National Park – Hopi Heritage at the Inn (U.S. National Park Service)
Media related to Painted Desert Inn at Wikimedia Commons
- Painted Desert Inn, NPS guidebook
- Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark
- Painted Desert Inn, Navajo vicinity, Apache, AZ at the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) and additional material ,  on subsidiary structures.