Location in Accomack County and the state of Virginia.
|• Total||0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2)|
|• Land||0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||33 ft (10 m)|
|• Density||380/sq mi (140/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1472020|
Painter is located at (37.585632, -75.783445).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 246 people, 104 households, and 69 families residing in the town. The population density was 388.0 people per square mile (150.8/km²). There were 117 housing units at an average density of 184.6 per square mile (71.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 65.45% White, 30.08% African American, 0.41% Native American, 2.44% from other races, and 1.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.69% of the population.
There were 104 households out of which 22.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 19.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.7% were non-families. 31.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.8% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 23.2% from 25 to 44, 19.5% from 45 to 64, and 25.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 75.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 69.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $19,583, and the median income for a family was $31,250. Males had a median income of $24,167 versus $20,469 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,350. About 13.9% of families and 18.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.1% of those under the age of eighteen and 19.4% of those sixty five or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Painter has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Painter town, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Painter, Virginia