Paiute-Shoshone Tribe of the Fallon Reservation and Colony
|900 enrolled members (1990),
620 on reservation (2000)
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( Nevada)|
|Northern Paiute language, English|
|Native American Church, Sun Dance, traditional tribal religion,
Christianity, Ghost Dance
|Related ethnic groups|
|other Northern Paiute and
Western Shoshone tribes
The Paiute-Shoshone Tribe of the Fallon Reservation and Colony is a federally recognized tribe of Northern Paiute and Western Shoshone Indians in Churchill County, Nevada. Their autonym is Toi Ticutta meaning "Cattail Eaters."
The Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe has a federal reservation, the Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Reservation, at  Closer to the city of Fallon the smaller and geographically detached Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Colony, at , has two separate sections that lie between downtown Fallon and Fallon Municipal Airport, northeast of the city., in Churchill County. The reservation, established in 1887,comprises 5,540 acres (22.4 km2). In 1990, 356 tribal members lived on the reservation. In 1992, 900 people were enrolled in the tribe.
As of 2009[update] the Fallon Paiute Shoshone Tribe's headquarters is located in Fallon, Nevada. The tribe is governed by a seven-person tribal council, with Len George serving as the Tribal Chairperson as of 2009[update].
Numa News is the tribe's monthly newspaper.
- "Nevada: American Indian Area." US Census Bureau. (retrieved 1 Sep 2010)
- " Northern Paiute - Religion and Expressive Culture ". Countries and Their Cultures. (retrieved 1 Sep 2010)
- Pritzker, 226
- d'Azevedo, 464
- "Lovelock Paiute Tribe." IICOC Business Directory. (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- "Western Shoshone, BIA and Senator Reid Meeting Update." Fallon Paiute Shoshone Tribe. 17 Sept 2009 (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- "Numa News Subscriptions." Fallon Paiute Shoshone Tribe. (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- d'Azevedo, Warren L., Volume Editor. Handbook of North American Indians, Volume 11: Great Basin. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1986. ISBN 978-0-16-004581-3.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- Fallon Paiute Shoshone Tribe, official website