Pakistan Meteorological Department
|Pakistan Meteorological Department|
|Pakistan Meteorological Department Logo|
|Preceding Agency||Ministry of Defence|
|Jurisdiction||Federal government of Pakistan|
|Agency executive||Arif Mahmood, Director General|
The Pakistan Meteorological Department, also known as Pak Met Office, is a Government of Pakistan organization which works under the Ministry of Defence. It is responsible for providing services in meteorological, hydrological and associated sciences.
Apart from meteorology, the department is also concerned with Agrometeorology, hydrology, Alternative Energy, Astrophysics (including Solar Physics), Seismology, Geomagnetism, Atmospheric Lightning & Electricity and studies of the ionosphere and cosmic rays etc.
The Pakistan Meteorological Department is headed by the Director General. The Department is further divided into several Directorates as follows ;
- Institute of Meteorology & Geophysics or IMG (Training Center of PMD) Karachi,
- Tropical Cyclone Warning Center, Karachi,
- National Seismic Monitoring and Tsunami Early warning Center Karachi,
- National seismic Monitoring and Tsunami Early warning Center (Backup Station) Islamabad,
- Directorate of Maintenance Karachi,
- Directorate of Forecasting and Climatology Karachi,
- Climate Data Processing Center Karachi,
- Regional Met. Centres:- Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Quetta,
- Remote sensing, Islamabad,
- Drought, Environmental monitoring & early warning Center Islamabad,
- Flood Forecasting Division Lahore,
- Wind mapping project for Wind Energy,
- Earthquake center Peshawar,
- Geophysical Centre Quetta,
- Research & Development Islamabad,
- Meteorological Forecasting Offices (mainly for Aviation purposes) Karachi, Islamabad, Lahore.
- Chief Administrative Officer.
Pakistan Meteorological Department was established in 1947 with only 15 meteorological observatories operating in the whole country. Since then the facilities have been significantly improved with the establishment of modern flood forecasting system, earthquake and nuclear explosion detection system, nuclear meteorology, radar, satellite, computer technology, flight safety consultancy services in seismic design of dams, buildings and other development and disaster relief schemes.
See also 
- List of extreme weather records in Pakistan
- National Institute of Oceanography
- SUPARCO (Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission)
- Official site
- New mirror site
- Training at PMD
- Contact List of PMD Management
- Pakistan Journal of Meteorology