|Also known as||PFK|
|Associated acts||Kaliber 44, 3xKlan, Pokahontaz|
|Past members||Magik (1998-2000)
Paktofonika was a Polish hip hop group from Katowice and Mikołów, which debuted with the album Kinematografia in 2000. The name Paktofonika comes from the words pakt (pact) and fonika (phonics), from which derives the idea of "A pact made alongside sounds from a speaker", created by band's founders, Magik and Rahim.
A film inspired by its story, titled Jesteś Bogiem and directed by Leszek Dawid, was released in May 2012. It became a box-office hit and the highest-selling Polish film of the year. It also won several film awards.
- Piotr "Magik" Łuszcz (1978–2000) – formerly of Kaliber 44
- Wojciech "Fokus" Alszer (born 1980) – ex Kwadrat Skład, since 2004 a member of Pokahontaz
- Sebastian "Rahim" Salbert (born 1978) – ex 3xKlan, Erka, since 2004 a member of Pokahontaz
Paktofonika began when Magik left Kaliber 44 during the recording of their second album, W 63 minuty dookoła świata (1998). Rahim left his group 3xKlan at around the same time, and formed Paktofonika with Magik and Fokus in 1998. Their first songs, written in October 1998, were "Priorytety", "Ja to Ja" and "Gdyby". Two new members joined Paktofonika, DJ Bambus on turntables, and Sot as a beatboxer.
Kinematografia and Magik's death (2000)
In the spring of 2000, the group signed a contract with Gigant Records. In the summer of that year, the group was in Witten, Germany, where they recorded their song "2 Kilo" with German artists. On 18 December 2000, Paktofonika's first album entitled Kinematografia was released. Eight days later, on 26 December at 6.15 a.m., Magik committed suicide by jumping from the window of his ninth-floor apartment.
After Magik's death, the group continued performing with DJ Bambus and Sot for some time. In concerts, they were using previously recorded material of Magik's vocals. In May 2001, a sample of Paktofonika's song "Ja to Ja", sung by reggae/hip-hop artist Piotr 'Gutek' Gutkowski, was used in an ice-cream commercial without the group members' permission, but with the knowledge of Gigant Records.
In September 2002, Paktofonika's farewell album was released. Archiwum Kinematografii contained studio outtakes from the group's first album, and two songs recorded later without Magik, "Ja to ja 2 (dokuadnie tak!)" and "W peunej gotowości". In December 2002, it was announced that on 21 March 2003 the group would give its last performance under the name Paktofonika in Spodek, Katowice. The concert was recorded and released as Pożegnalny koncert on 26 April 2004 through Universal Music Poland.
Rahim and Fokus continue to work on other projects, such as PFK Company and Pokahontaz.
Jesteś Bogiem, a long-awaited film inspired by Paktofonika's story and directed by Leszek Dawid, was released on 7 May 2012. It received critical acclaim and won several awards, including two Polish Film Awards (out of ten nominations) and 6 Złote Lwy awards (out of 7 nominations) at Gdynia Film Festival. The film was also a box-office hit, with 1,366,293 viewers within its first month in theaters, and became the highest-selling Polish film of the year. The film title (You're a God) refers to the title of Paktofonika's most popular song, "Jestem Bogiem" ("I'm a God").
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales||Certifications|
(The Archives of Cinematography)
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2001||Jestem Bogiem (I'm a God)
|2004||Pożegnalny koncert (Paktofonika's Farewell Concert)|
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales||Certifications||Notes|
|2012||Muzyka z filmu Jesteś Bogiem
||Jesteś Bogiem original soundtrack, produced by Fokus and Rahim.
Contains new versions of Paktofonika's songs, instrumental tracks by DJ 5:CET, and versions of songs "Nowiny", "Priorytety" and "Lepiej być nie może" recorded by actors who played group members in the film: Marcin Kowalczyk, Tomasz Schuchardt and Dawid Ogrodnik.
- ""Jesteś Bogiem" najpopularniejszym polskim filmem tego roku - Filmweb" (in Polish). Filmweb. 2012-10-23. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- "Jesteś Bogiem - Nagrody - Filmweb" (in Polish). Filmweb. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- "Paktofonika: Gorzkie lody na patyku" (in Polish). Onet.pl. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- "Pożegnanie Paktofoniki" (in Polish). Onet.pl. 2002-12-11. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- "OLiS - sales for the period 24.09.2012 - 30.09.2012". OLiS. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- Walkiewicz, Tomasz, Relacja z pożegnalnego koncertu Paktofoniki, Magazyn Hip-Hop (in Polish) (pfk.one.pl), retrieved 2012-09-29
- "Olis – sales for the period 14.10.2002 – 20.10.2002". OLiS. Retrieved 2009-12-23.
- "Olis – sales for the period 12.11.2001 – 18.11.2001". OLiS. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- "Universal Music Polska - Katalog płyt - Paktofonika: Pożegnalny koncert - Katowice Spodek" (in Polish). Universal Music Poland. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "OLiS - sales for the period 01.10.2012 - 07.10.2012". OLiS. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- "ZPAV: regulamin przyznawiania certyfikatów sprzedaży". ZPAV (in Polish). Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- "ZPAV: złote płyty". ZPAV. Retrieved 2013-02-01.