Palace of Unity
The Palace of Unity (Tajik: Кохи Ваҳдат/Kokhi Vahdat/کاخ وحدت), also referred to as Vahdat Palace, is a building in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Located in the northern part of Dushanbe's main thoroughfare, Rudaki Avenue, near Hotel Avesto and the embassy of Uzbekistan, it is the headquarters of the ruling People's Democratic Party and is also used to host international conferences.
November 2007 Bombing
In November 2007, a bomb was left in a plastic bag near a wall outside of the Palace, in an incident labelled by authorities as a terrorist act. A seventy-seven-year-old man, variously reported to be a janitor, a street sweeper, or a security guard, was the only victim; he was killed at 8:10 AM on 14 November 2007 when he picked up the plastic bag in which the bomb was contained, causing it to explode. The explosion also blew out many windows at the palace.
- "Explosion in center of Dushanbe". Simo News. 2007-11-14. Retrieved 2008-01-02.
- "Tajik Officials Call Dushanbe Explosion A Terrorist Act". Radio Liberty (Radio Free Europe). 2007-11-14. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "Powerful blast near Tajik presidential palace kills one". RIA Novosti. 2007-11-14. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "Explosive Device Kills Guard in Tajikistan". The New York Times. 2007-11-14. Retrieved 2007-11-15.[dead link]
- "Tajikistan: street-sweeper killed in an explosion near the presidential palace in Dushanbe". Ferghana.ru.
- "Tacikastan'daki patlama terör saldırısı (Terror explosion attack in Tajikistan)". Zaman Gazetesi (in Turkish). 2007-11-14. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
|This Tajikistan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|