|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008)|
|District of Jharkhand|
Location of Palamu district in Jharkhand
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||1. Palamu, 2. Chatra (shared with Chatra district)|
|• Assembly seats||5|
|• Total||5,044 km2 (1,947 sq mi)|
|• Density||380/km2 (990/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||65.5 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||929|
The district lies between 23°50′ and 24°8′ north latitude and between 83°55′ and 84°30′ east longitude. It is bordered on the north by Sone River & Bihar and on the east by the Chatra and Hazaribagh districts, on the south by Latehar District and on the west by Garhwa District.
National protected area
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Palamu one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 24 districts in Jharkhand currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Palamu district has a population of 1,936,319, roughly equal to the nation of Lesotho or the US state of West Virginia. This gives it a ranking of 243rd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 381 inhabitants per square kilometre (990/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 25.94%. Palamu has a sex ratio of 929 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 65.5%.
Languages spoken here include Asuri, an Austroasiatic language spoken by approximately 17 000 in India, largely in the southern part of Palamu; and [Magahi Language] group with almost 40 000 000 speakers, written in both the Devanagari and Kaithi scripts.
The only university in Medininagar (Daltonganj) is Nilamber-Pitamber University, created on the 17th of January, 2009. The Chief Minister of Jharkhand declared that the Nilamber-Pitamber University would be set up in Medininagar (Daltonganj) in 2001. There are 66 primary schools, 30 middle schools, 17 Navsirijit schools, 10 high schools and 1 Engineering College in the Daltonganj block. The main colleges in Daltonganj include:
- GLA College
- Women's College(Old Garhwa Road,kund mohalla)
- BN College
- Janta Shivratri College
- RIIT Engineering College "Rastriya Institute of Information Technology & Engineering" Redma near Kali Mandir Daltonganj
- Nilambar Pitambar University
Popular schools in Medininagar (Daltonganj) are
- RIIT Kids School of IT Expert & Programmer with Mid-brain Activation
Popular Computer Education Centre in Medininagar (Daltonganj) are
- RIIT Computer Centre" Redma near Kali temple Daltonganj
- RIIT Kids School of IT Expert Redma near Kali temple Daltonganj
Flora and fauna
World's first tiger-census was done in the Palamau forests in the year 1932. Counting was based on pugmarks. There were around 44 tigers when the last census was done. There are several other wildlife found in the sanctuary — chital, chinkara, common langur, dhole (wild dogs), elephants, gaur, hares, Indian porcupine, nilgai, monkey, mouse deer, leopard, pangolin, panther, sambar (deer), sloth bear, wild boar and wolves. Peafowl, red junglefowl and partridges are the common birds found here.
The tourists can drive through dense patches of sal and bamboo in the park. A guide and jeep can be hired from the forest department. Watch towers are there to observe the wildlife in relative safety.There are tree houses which can be rented out for stay and food arrangement is also catered for.
haidar nagar is located in northern part of palamu. It is well connected by railway and road.It is surrounded by mountains by every side,which make a beautiful place. It's well covered by Vodafone, Airtel, Uninor, Reliance, BSNL, Aircel, Idea, Airtel 3G, like cellular networks. ATM also available here besides SBI haidar nagar.
- Education: +2 RK HIGH SCHOOL HAIDAR NAGAR, GIRL'S HIGH HAIDAR NAGAR, HIGH SCHOOL TARA, BILASPUR HIGH SCHOOL, MIDDLE SCHOOL HAIDAR NAGAR etc. are common example of education center in haidar nagar.
- Market: A small market called as mangal bazar is situated in middle of the block which 1.5 km away from haidar nagar railway station. With the time it has become daily market. Common shops like kirana, general store, saloon, cloth shop, fashion stores, jewelry stores,medicine stores etc. exists here in huge number.
- Villages: Haidar nagar bazar, Babhandih, Budhhi bigha, barewa, Bhai bigha, chacheriya, sajwan, KABRA,
pansa bardiha, parta, Bindu BIGHA, Bilaspur, Ansar BIGHA are common example of villages in haidar nagar.
- Railway Station: It's 'D' level station, 18 trains stops here naming ranchi-Varanasi(6),barkalana-patna(4),barwadih-dehri(4), barkakana-dehri(2),barkakana-Varanasi(2).
Institute for Technical Education:- SAGA Computer Training Centre & SAGA Coaching Centre, Razvi Manzil (Near Chath Ghat), Haidar Nagar
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
West Virginia 1,852,994
- M. Paul Lewis, ed. (2009). "Asuri: A language of India". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th edition ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- M. Paul Lewis, ed. (2009). "Bhojpuri: A language of India". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th edition ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "Nilamber-Pitamber University". Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Chapter IX: Social Services". Jharkhand Draft Annual Plan 2001 - 2002. Retrieved 2007-07-10.[dead link]
- "Palamu District: Education Profile". Retrieved 2007-07-10.
||Rohtas district, Bihar||Aurangabad district, Bihar||Gaya district, Bihar|
|Garhwa district||Chatra district|