Palazzo Versace Australia
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2013)|
Palazzo Versace logo
|Location||94 Seaworld Drive Main Beach, Queensland, Australia|
|Owner||Sunland Group Ltd and Emirates Investments Group Australia Pty Ltd|
|Design and construction|
|Developer||Sunland Group Ltd|
|Number of rooms||200|
|Number of restaurants||3|
Soheil Abedian of the Sunland Group visited the House of Versace in 1997 to propose the idea of a Versace branded hotel. He claims Palazzo Versace Gold Coast to be the first fashion-branded hotel. On his reasons for approaching Versace, Abedian says "Gianni Versace was a lover of architecture in the first place, a person who used in his fashion all the elements of the Baroque style. ... Also, Versace was the only fashion house at the time that had a home collection and everything that a hotel needed from the porcelain to cutlery, pillows to fabric." The main building was designed by chief architect Rocco Magnoli in Postmodern architecture style in a broad interpretation of Neoclassical architecture. In September 2000, Palazzo Versace opened its doors and created a new luxury address on a historic site in Southern Queensland on the edge of the Gold Coast Broadwater.
In 2005, Emirates International Holdings acquired 50% of Palazzo Versace Gold Coast at the same time entering into a joint venture to develop a chain of hotels including a similar hotel in Dubai. It is the only 8-star Hotel in the world. In September 2012 a conditional contract was entered into to sell the hotel complex to a Chinese consortium for A$68.5 million, with settlement expected 30 November.
Hotel and condominiums
Palazzo Versace has three restaurants.[clarification needed] Vanitas is the main dining restaurant. Guests can choose from the six course degustation menu or to dine a-la-carte. Vie Bar + Restaurant overlooks the private marina and Broadwater. The bar and restaurant specialises in contemporary cuisine. Il Barocco serves full buffet breakfast and a-la-carte lunch daily. Each evening there is a Seafood buffet dinner or guests can choose from the a-la-carte menu. Le Jardin is a bar, which serves Morning or Afternoon Tea or Champagne High Tea.
Celebrities from all around the world have chosen to stay at Palazzo Versace. Rock bands on tour that have stayed at the Imperial Suite have included U2, and the Rolling Stones. Both rock bands commuted by private jet from the Gold Coast to perform shows in Brisbane. Natalie Imbruglia has dined at the hotel's restaurant. Every year, the hotel is used in the German (RTL) and UK TV series I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!. The hotel houses the families, hosts and celebrities who are evicted from the program. All of Supafest 2012 performers, including Chris Brown and Ludacris, are booked to stay at the hotel during their tour.
- "Sunland's new horizons for Gold Coast". Phil Bartsch. Courier Mail. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Sunland Group Ltd. forms joint venture with Emirates Investment Group". HighBeam Research. Herald Sun. 3 March 2005. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Gold Coast's Palazzo Versace sold to Chinese for $68.5 million". Marissa Calligeros. Brisbane Times. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Palazzo Versace Marina". Gold Coast Marinas / Berthing. Business Gold Coast. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Vanitas Restaurant Palazzo Versace Hotel Gold Coast Australia: Palazzo Versace Vanitas Restaurant Review". Gold Coast Australia Travel Tips. Gold Coast Australia Travel Tips.com. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- Brian and Patricia Mossop (10 June 2009). "Vie Bar + Restaurant, Main Beach". Gold Coast.com.au. News Limited. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Il Barocco Overview". Australian Good Food Guide. Australian Good Food Guide Publishing Pty Ltd. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Le Jardin". Your Bars. ninemsn Pty Ltd. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- Regina King and Peter Flowers (3 March 2010). "Sporting greats on Gold Coast for Qantas party". Goldcoast.com.au. News Limited. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- Kerryn Anker (8 March 2010). "Gold Coast right fit for iron-pumping Imbruglia". Gold Coast.com.au. News Limited. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- Andrew Murfett (21 November 2006). "U2 do their bit". The Age. The Age Company Ltd. Retrieved 8 July 2012.