Sport in Palestine
Palestine first competed at the Summer Olympics in 1996. Ramallah hosts some of the best gyms in Palestine. The separation wall and numerous checkpoints has caused difficulty in movement for Palestinian athletes, however Palestinian athletes were still able to reach East Jerusalem sport centers as of 2009. Some girls' schools have incorporated football into their curricula. Prior to the creation of Israel, dozens of Palestinian sport clubs were active, however the Nakba that occurred the following year brought most of these to a closure. The infrastructure of some more contemporary Palestinian sport associations have also been demolished by the Israeli government. Association football has been described as the national sport of Palestine.
- Joe Weider, Ben Weider - 2006, Brothers of Iron - Page 279
- Jerusalem Wall: a decade of division and urban incarceration
- Muslim Women and Sport - Page 183, Tansin Benn, Gertrud Pfister, Haifaa Jawad - 2010
- A Companion to Sport - Page 260, Ben Carrington - 2013
- Reading and Writing the Mediterranean - Page 105, Norma Bouchard, Massimo Lollini - 2006
- From Palestine to America: A Memoir - Page 12, Taher Dajani - 2008