Palisades Park High School
|Palisades Park Jr./Sr. High School|
|1 Veterans Plaza
Palisades Park, NJ 07650
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Palisades Park Public School District|
|Vice principal||Patrick Bott|
|Faculty||55.3 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||8 - 12|
|Enrollment||462 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.35:1|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
Palisades Park Jr./Sr. High School is a five-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in eighth through twelfth grade from Palisades Park, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Palisades Park Public School District.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 462 students and 55.3 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 8.35:1. There were 110 students (23.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 45 (9.7% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 107th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 87th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 118th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 133rd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school as tied for 198th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (an increase of 33 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Palisades Park High School Tigers compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC), following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Prior to realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, Palisades Park was a member of the Bergen County Scholastic League (BCSL). With 317 students in grades 10 to 12, the school is classified as North I Group I, a category that includes schools with enrollment of 157 to 489 in those three grades.
The football team won the NJSIAA North I Group I state sectional championship in 1991.
In 2006, the Boy's Basketball Team won their first BCSL Olympic League title since 1980, finishing with a league-best 13-3 record (17-6 overall record). With just one senior in the starting lineup on the 2006 championship squad, the team would go on to win back-to-back Olympic League titles in 2009 and 2010.
In 2007, the Boy's Tennis Team won their first State Sectionals Title defeating Leonia High School 3-2 to win the North 1, Group 1 championship. They have gone down in history for being the first to ever win a State Sectionals Title for both boys and girls.
The Palisades Park Boys Cross Country teams have won North Jersey I Group I state sectional championships in 1976, 1987, 1994-2000 and in 2002, with the team's 10 sectional titles being the second most of any high school in North Jersey I. The team won Group I championships in 1995, 1996 and 2000. The 2000 team was awarded honors from The Star-Ledger as team of the year, with Frank Donohue earning Coach of the Year, with the paper noting the team's seven consecutive sectional titles. They have also have won numerous State Sectional and County Group titles. Donohie was recognized by The Record as its Coach of the Year in 2004. The team held a 70-0 dual meet winning streak through part of the 1990s and into the 2000s. Recently the team won their first County title since 2002.
Palisades Park football which is a Co-Op program with Leonia High School made the State Championship game in 2012 for North Jersey II Group 3 for the first time since 1991. Under the leadership of Head Coach David Schuman it was the first time a Co-Op program made the state finals in NJ history. The team finished 9-3 which was the second most wins in school history. Coach Schuman was awarded NJIC coach of the year and the team finished ranked #12 in North Jersey according to The Record.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Nicholas Cipriano, Principal
- Patrick Bott, Vice Principal
- Data for Palisades Park Jr Sr High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 28, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 15, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2010-2011, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 15, 2012.
- 2011-2012 Public Schools Group Classification for ShopRite Cup–Tennis–Soccer–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 15, 2012.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 15, 2012.
- Hickman, Jason. "National Basketball writer/editor". MaxPreps.
- Doviak, Cory K. "Pal Park runs away from Cresskill in key league matchup", NorthJerseySports.com, February 8, 2006. Accessed July 25, 2012.
- "Palisades Park wins sectional", The Record (Bergen County), May 22, 2007. "James Hwang, Richard Park and Alejandro Marulanda all won their singles matches as second-seeded Palisades Park defeated fifth-seeded Leonia, 3-2, to win the North 1, Group 1 tennis title at Dwight-Englewood. It was the first sectional title for the Tigers' boys tennis program."
- NORTH JERSEY 1 SECTIONAL CROSS-COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- State Group Team Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- "Vengeance is sweet for Dailey.", The Star-Ledger, December 6, 2000.
- Schwartz, Paul. "Tigers' source of inspiration -- Coach of the Year: Frank Donohue, Palisades Park", The Record (Bergen County), December 9, 2004. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- Staff, Palisades Park School District. Accessed March 28, 2011.
- Palisades Park High School
- Palisades Park Public School District
- Palisades Park Public School District's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Palisades Park Public School District, National Center for Education Statistics