|Pallavan Superfast Express|
Pallavan Express rushing past Mambalam
|Service type||Inter-city rail|
|First service||August 15, 1984|
|Current operator(s)||Southern Railway zone|
|Distance travelled||426 km (265 mi)|
|Average journey time||7 hours, 40 minutes|
|Service frequency||Daily each way|
|Line used||Chord line|
|Class(es)||CC, 2S, SLR, SLRD and UR/GS|
|Seating arrangements||Open coach|
|Baggage facilities||Overhead racks|
Two AC Chair car
Fourteen Non-AC 2S
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||25 kV AC, 50 Hz|
|Operating speed||55 kilometres per hour (34 mph)|
|Track owner(s)||Southern Railway zone|
The Pallavan Superfast Express[a] (Tamil: பல்லவன் அதிவிரைவு தொடருந்து) is a superfast inter-city train operated by the Southern Railway zone of the Indian Railways. This train, which once connected the cities of Chennai and Tiruchirappalli in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, now runs to Karaikudi.
The Pallavan Express was constructed to run parallel to the Vaigai Express, which could not complete the round trip between Madurai and Chennai. The Express makes the 426 kilometres (265 mi) run in 7.5 hours with only 11 stops. It was once the most popular day train for travel between Trichy and Chennai Egmore, making the one-way trip in just over 5 hours as compared to the 8–9 hours by road. The train attains its maximum speed of 110 kilometres per hour (68 mph) on the Vriddhachalam-Villupuram segment of the line.
In recent developments, the train which departs Karaikudi at 04:30 hrs and arrives Trichy at 06.15 hrs and reaches Chennai Egmore at 12:10 hrs. Then it swaps as Vaigai Express departing at 13.20 hrs for Madurai. As the other pair of Vaigai Superfast Express arrives Chennai Egmore at 14:40 hrs. The train swapped as Pallavan Superfast Express, departing at 15:45 hrs and arrives Trichy at 21.20 hrs and reach Karaikudi at 23:25 hrs. The train has one pantry car for providing continuous refreshment/food supply to passengers. The pantry coach, denoted as PS1, which is a Pantry-cum Coach car (Reserved), which serves good quality of Idli, Dosa, Vada, Pongal and Variety of soups/snacks/beverages at an affordable prices during the journey. This Train runs via the Chord line which is through Ariyalur, Vrriddhachalam, Villupuram to and fro from Tiruchirappalli.
The train is being hauled by an electric loco (RPM/ED WAP4) between Chennai Egmore and Trichy. And between Trichy and Karaikudi, it is hauled by diesel loco (GOC WDP4B/WDG4), since the line is not electrified and vice versa. The PS1 coach in this train is a Pantry-cum-Coach car, where half of the coach is used as a kitchen and the other half is used as a normal passenger coach.[b]It has RSA with Vaigai Express.
- Chair Car Air Conditioned - INR 525 (including basic fare, reservation charges and superfast charges) online charges extra.
- Second Seating - INR 150 (including basic fare, reservation charges and superfast charges) online charges extra.
- Unreserved Second Class General - INR 131
Due to persistent demands for a day train from the elected representatives and people of Pudukkottai and Sivaganga districts, Southern Railway decided to extend Pallavan Superfast Express till Karaikudi through Pudukkottai. The official announcement for the extension was made by the Union Minister for Railways in the Parliament during the Railway Budget- 2013. This created a strong agitation among the Tiruchirappalli commuters. Yet, the authorities were firm on the decision and extension was effected since 1 September 2013 from Karaikudi with a single stopping at Pudukottai.
- Cholan Express
- Vaigai Express
- Rockfort Express
- Tiruchirappalli – Tirunelveli Intercity Express
- Mysore-Mayiladuthurai Express
- The Train was named as to commemorate the Pallavas Kingdom, who ruled over the parts that is the present Chennai and its surroundings.
- The coach composition is subject to change.
- "Trains at a Glance July 2013 - June 2014". Indian Railways. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Train Time Table for CAPE-MS (Via. Chord Line)". Indian Railways. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Train Time Table for MS-CAPE (Via. Chord Line)". Indian Railways. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Railway Budget 2013-2014" (PDF). Ministry of Railways (Railway Board). p. 36. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Extension of Pallavan Express shocks Tiruchiites". The Hindu. 27 February 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Consumer activists go on fast opposing extension of Pallavan Express". The Hindu. 11 March 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "BJP protests train extension". The Hindu. 16 March 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Protest over train extension". The Hindu. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Pallavan Express timings revised". The Hindu. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pallavan Express.|