|Elevation||3,510 ft (1,070 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Pallisa is located approximately 65 kilometres (40 mi), by road, west of Mbale, the largest city in the sub-region. This location lies approximately 200 kilometres (120 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda. The coordinates of the town are:01 10 03N, 33 42 36E (Latitude:1.1675; Longitude:33.7100).
The town of Pallisa, lies in a rural area with extremely limited public transportation. The town has a population of about 30,000, scattered across the surrounding area, for a radius of 10 kilometres (6.2 mi). The main industry there is schooling. In fact, the town swells to around 40,000 when school is in session. Kids come from all around to go to one of the twenty or so secondary schools in the area, where they board in huts rented to them by the local villagers. Students live in mud and grass huts, two to four students per hut, fending entirely for themselves while going to school. Pallisa is the sister city of Hudson, New York.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of the town at about 23,650. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town of Pallisa to be approximately 31,200. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of the town at 32,300.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or near its borders:
- The headquarters of Pallisa District Administration
- The offices of Pallisa Town Council
- Pallisa Central Market
- A branch of Global Trust Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A mobile branch of PostBank Uganda
- A branch of Finance Trust Bank
- The Pallisa Campus of Busitema University - One of the public universities in Uganda.
- "Road Distance Between Mbale And Pallisa With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Pallisa With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Nawonga, Susan (23 April 2014). "Government Reboots Education Standards in Eastern Uganda". Chimpreports.com. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- UBOS, . 2011 "Estimated Population of Pallisa In 2002, 2010 & 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 28 May 2014.