Palmetto Cheese is a trademark for a brand of pimento cheese from Pawleys Island Specialty Foods, a division of Get Carried Away based in Pawleys Island, South Carolina. The ingredients: cheddar cheese, cream cheese, Hellmann's mayonnaise and a blend of spices come packaged in 12 ounce containers. Palmetto Cheese is manufactured and packaged at Duke Sandwich Productions located in Simpsonville, South Carolina. Palmetto Cheese is sold in three varieties: Original, Jalapeño and Bacon.
||This section has been nominated to be checked for its neutrality. (December 2012)|
The Palmetto Cheese recipe was developed by Sassy Henry for tailgating at Atlanta Braves games. When Sassy and her husband, Brian, moved to Pawleys Island, South Carolina, they purchased the Sea View Inn. It was there that Vertrella Brown added the "soul" to the "pimento cheese with soul". Brown's image can be found on the label of Palmetto Cheese. In 2006, Sassy and Vertrella's pimento cheese recipe made the leap from the Sea View Inn menu to the first 20 packages put for sale at Independent Seafood in Georgetown,South Carolina.
In 2011, customers consumed 2.1 million containers of Palmetto Cheese. Cheese produced from the Simpsonville plant is distributed to most Bi-Lo, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Lowes Foods, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Ingles, Food City, and Central Market locations on the East Coast. In 2011, Palmetto Cheese nearly doubled its distribution with the addition of Giant-Carlisle, Giant-Landover, Stop & Shop, and Albertsons locations. The brand continues to expand into new locations. In April, 2012, Palmetto Cheese became available at 699 Walmart stores, the world's largest retailer. The brand has expanded as far west as Colorado and Utah by adding 100 Kroger stores to its distribution network.
Fresh batches of Palmetto Cheese are still mixed and hand-packed by George Easterling and his crew in Pawleys Island, South Carolina.
- , http://www.manta.com/c/mttl0ly/get-carried-away-llc.
- , Say Cheese. Kim Henson. Spartanburg Journal. http://skimhenson.com/PalmettoCheese061110S.pdf
- , Say Cheese - Couple’s flavorful business venture has spread out across the South. JACKIE R. BROACH. COASTAL OBSERVER. June 4, 2009
- , USA Today: Small businesses use social media to grow, Laura Petrecca. Feb. 2012
- , WPDE News Channel 13: Palmetto Cheese creates jobs with expansion into Walmart , Taylor Williams. April. 2012
- SC NOW.com, Pawleys Island company uses secret weapon to make southern classic a tasty hit. Rusty Ray. WBTW. May 3, 2010