|Headquarters||Ridgeland, South Carolina|
Palmetto Electric was formed in 1940 by a group of residents in response to the lack of service in rural areas by investor-owned utility companies. By 1942, the company began servicing Hampton County. Shortly thereafter, they began servicing Jasper County. In 1950, they energized the first lines to Hilton Head Island.
Palmetto Electric Cooperative is governed by 12 trustees, six of whom reside in Beaufort County, three of whom reside in Hampton County, and three of whom reside in Jasper County. Board members serve terms of three years each. As of January 2012, elected persons include:
- Deborah Malphrus, Chairman, Jasper County
- C. Alex Ulmer, Vice Chairman, Beaufort County
- Jeremiah E. Vaigneur, Secretary-Treasurer, Jasper County
- Electric Cooperatives of South Carolina: provides legal services, public relations and advertising, employee training, and insurance to members.
- National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
- Palmetto Economic Development Corporation
- Touchstone Energy
Palmetto Electric receives 100% of its energy from Santee Cooper.