Palmyra Township, Portage County, Ohio
|Palmyra Township, Portage County, Ohio|
Location within Portage County
|• Total||25.6 sq mi (66.4 km2)|
|• Land||25.6 sq mi (66.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,040 ft (317 m)|
|• Density||108.6/sq mi (41.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086834|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2015)|
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Paris Township - north
- Newton Township, Trumbull County - northeast corner
- Milton Township, Mahoning County - east
- Berlin Township, Mahoning County - southeast corner
- Deerfield Township - south
- Atwater Township - southwest corner
- Edinburg Township - west
- Charlestown Township - northwest corner
Formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve, Palmyra Township covers an area of 26 square miles (67 km2).
Name and history
It is the only Palmyra Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Palmyra Township is served by the Southeast Local Schools, and Southeast High School is located in the township.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Portage County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.