|Occupation||Television director and producer|
Fryman got her first job on The John Davidson Show as an assistant to the talent coordinator, and went on to be a booth production assistant and secretary on Santa Barbara, eventually moving up to assistant director (AD), and director. In 1993, producer Peter Noah, with whom she had worked on the game show Dream House, gave Fryman a chance to direct an episode of the short-lived sitcom Café Americain. These would be the first stepping stones toward a long and successful career.
Before her directing career blossomed, Fryman pursued stage directing. On the set of Frasier, rehearsal resembled a play staging, which is exactly what creator and executive producer David Lee had in mind when he hired her. Fryman directed 34 episodes of the show from seasons four through eight.
Fryman directed the majority of the episodes of How I Met Your Mother. Show creator Craig Thomas praised her communication skills, saying, "She makes everyone feel they've been heard and respected and she can connect with anyone." Though Fryman's original career plan did not include directing (she figured she would "follow in her father's footsteps in merchandising"), she has grown to realize that directing is her forte and passion. In Variety magazine, Fryman claimed that "continuing to direct How I Met Your Mother is her fantasy realized."
- Santa Barbara (1 episode)
- Café Americain (1 episode)
- The Boys Are Back (1 episode)
- Dweebs (9 episodes)
- The Naked Truth (1 episode)
- Bless This House (3 episodes)
- Good Company (2 episodes)
- Caroline in the City (1 episode)
- Hope and Gloria (2 episodes)
- Townies (1 episode)
- Cybill (4 episodes)
- Friends (2 episodes)
- Fired Up (2 episodes)
- Suddenly Susan (5 episodes)
- George & Leo (4 episodes)
- The King of Queens (3 episodes)
- The Norm Show (1 episode)
- Love & Money (1 episode)
- Three Sisters (2 episodes)
- Frasier (34 episodes)
- Inside Schwartz (2 episodes)
- In-Laws (2 episodes)
- Just Shoot Me! (89 episodes)
- Happy Family (9 episodes)
- Two and a Half Men (20 episodes)
- Courting Alex (1 episode)
- Accidentally on Purpose (2 episodes)
- Mad Love (1 episode)
- How I Met Your Mother (196 episodes)
Fryman is a mother of twin girls.
Fryman has won two Daytime Emmys, both for her work on Santa Barbara in 1990 and 1991, and has been nominated for four DGA awards, three for her directing of Frasier and one for Just Shoot Me. In 2011, Fryman accepted the Dorothy Arzner Award, established to recognize the important role women directors play in both film and television.
- "DGA Quarterly Spring 2010 - Director Profile: Pamela Fryman".
- "DGA Magazine January 1999 - Fraiser".
- "Neil Patrick Harris Directs Episode of 'How I Met Your Mother' Airing 1/18". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2010-01-30. "Though a series regular, this will mark Harris's directing debut, and a rarity for the show as Pamela Fryman has directed 92 of 'How I Met Your Mother's' 97 episodes."
- Maria Elena Fernandez (October 19, 2008). "The set mom on 'How I Met Your Mother'". Los Angeles Times. p. 3.
- "Dreams from the top". variety.com. Retrieved 2012-05-06. "continuing to direct "How I Met Your Mother" is her fantasy realized.""
- "Pamela Fryman Photo's". Zimbio.com. Retrieved 2012-05-05.